Matching algorithm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PimplePete

Reaction score
Lets say I rank a site #1 and it has 3 spots, and they rank me below #3. Would someone who ranked that place #2 beat me if they didnt place their #1?

Members don't see this ad.

To rephrase, would the person beat me if they didnt get placed in their #1 choice?

Depends on how that site ranks the other person. Always rank your sites how YOU would like to rank them, without consideration for how you think they would rank you; that's how the algorithm works.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how that site ranks the other person. Always rank your sites how YOU would like to rank them, without consideration for how you think they would rank you; that's how the algorithm works.

This.

Also, general tidbit, don’t rank a site you don’t want to be at, or have even the faintest doubt you can do.

To answer your question, we don't know! We won't know until we see how they ranked the site you ranked #1 and how that program ranked them. Other programs, if they ranked them, play into their match journey too.

To expand on how the match works, see below:

Say you are applicant X and interview at Programs A, B, and C. You decide to rank them all, and in the following order (B > C > A). The number in parentheses signifies how many resident positions they offer. The letter + number below the program is their rank of candidates – in real life that'll be >4, but for now I want to keep it as short as possible. The blue letter + number indicates the number in parentheses, of how many spots they have open:
1. B (2)
  • B1
  • B2
  • B3
  • B4
2. C (1)
  • C1
  • C2
  • C3
  • C4
3. A (3)
  • A1
  • A2
  • A3
  • A4
There are a few other candidates applying to these programs, Applicants W, Y, and Z join you. They interview at the same programs and get interviews at each. Their rank lists are below:

Applicant W
1. C
2. B
(Did not rank A)

Applicant Y
1. C
2. A
3. B

Applicant Z
1. B
2. C
3. A

The match starts. It examines your rank list and sees that you have ranked Program B as #1. They have an open spot and ranked you, so now Program B looks like this:
1. B (2)
  • Applicant X
  • B2
  • B3
  • B4
The match moves on to Applicant W. They ranked Program C first, which has a spot open. Program C now looks like this.
2. C (1)
  • Applicant W
  • C2
  • C3
  • C4
However, Applicant Y also ranked Program C first. Because the program doesn't have a spot open, it evaluates how Program C ranked both of Applicant W and Y. Unfortunately for Applicant W, Program C ranked Applicant Y higher as their #1 choice – surprise! Program C now looks like this, and has finalized their match. They are no longer able to be matched with because this is a 1:1 match. Otherwise, it would still be open for matching (given their highest ranked candidates, who also would need to rank them very high, have yet to match).
2. C (1)
  • Applicant Y
  • C2
  • C3
  • C4
This means Applicant W re-enters the match. The program looks at the Applicant's rank list and sees their next and final option was Program B. Because the program ranked them and has a spot open, they join Applicant X (you) at that program. Program B has filled all of their positions (at least for now).
1. B (2)
  • Applicant X
  • Applicant W
  • B3
  • B4
The program moves on to Applicant Z. Because Applicant Z also has Program B ranked as their first choice, and the program does not have an additional spot open, it examines how Program B ranked its current positioned residents and Applicant Z. The program ranked Applicant Z higher than Applicant X (you), but not higher than Applicant W – so Applicant Z will go to Program B to join Applicant W. Because Applicant Z is ranked higher than Applicant X (you), you are removed from Program B (So sorry!); the program will retain Applicant Z and W. Program B is full, but is only still open for matching if both other Applicants and the Program did not rank each other higher.
1. B (2)
  • Applicant Z
  • Applicant W
  • B3
  • B4
This means Applicant X (you) re-enter the match. The program examines your list and finds Program C as your #2 choice. Unfortunately, Program C matched with their #1 candidate (who also ranked them as #1) and that is the strongest match you can have (1:1). The match moves to your third choice, Program A. Program A has ranked you and has a spot open, so you will now go to Program A.
Note: You will for sure match to Program A if they ranked you highly, even though you ranked them lower. The only way you will be removed from Program A – and therefore not match – is if three candidates (because program A has three positions to offer), rank them highly, are placed there, and they have been ranked higher by Program A than they ranked you.

The final match appears like this:
A (3)
  • Applicant X
  • A2 (open)
  • A3 (open)
  • A4
B (2)
  • Applicant Z
  • Applicant W
  • B3
  • B4
C (1)
  • Applicant Y
  • C2
  • C3
  • C4
This goes to show you should not rank your "fall back" program, or a program you are very confident about getting into, the highest on your list if it is not your true #1 choice! The match works in your favor – you will go to a program, even if you ranked it lowest on your list, if they ranked you near the top of your list... so long as they don't have >2 candidates (so you can have that 3rd position) with a stronger match, meaning both the program and the candidate ranked each other highly.

I hope this made sense! The match was very scary to me at first and now that I realize it's here to truly help me instead of hurt me. Good luck through the next few months!

Do programs know if you didn't rank them at all?

Hello, could someone provide more insight into the following on the NMS website?

"Rank all programs to which you applied that would be acceptable. You may rank as many programs as you wish. Submitting a longer list of programs may reduce your chances of being left unmatched."

Applicants | Strategy for Ranking

I have asked previous residents/pharmacists and they mentioned that ranking all programs that I interview for could work against me. However this doesn't seem to be represented in the previous discussion thread above. I am interviewing for 9 programs, so I am wondering if I should rank every program even if I don't "love" one, but feel like I could rather go to X program than not do a residency. Obviously, if there is something negative about the program, I would not rank, but I am wondering if for the ones that fall in the "gray" area, if they are worth ranking even if they fall to #9 on my list. Thanks!

Hello, could someone provide more insight into the following on the NMS website?

"Rank all programs to which you applied that would be acceptable. You may rank as many programs as you wish. Submitting a longer list of programs may reduce your chances of being left unmatched."

Applicants | Strategy for Ranking

I have asked previous residents/pharmacists and they mentioned that ranking all programs that I interview for could work against me. However this doesn't seem to be represented in the previous discussion thread above. I am interviewing for 9 programs, so I am wondering if I should rank every program even if I don't "love" one, but feel like I could rather go to X program than not do a residency. Obviously, if there is something negative about the program, I would not rank, but I am wondering if for the ones that fall in the "gray" area, if they are worth ranking even if they fall to #9 on my list. Thanks!
I don't think I understand your confusion. if you rank more places, your chances of matching are higher. But the critical thing is it may work against you in that if you ranked a place you hated just because you didn't want to not match, you're stuck at a place you're going to hate for a year.

If it's in the gray area in your opinion and you rank them, you won't match there unless that's how the match works out. it's not like the match just chooses a random one from your list, it goes in your rank order, with your preference first, then considers how the programs ranked the applicants.

tldr rank everywhere you think you can stand to work for a year, it can only help your odds of matching.

*** for me this youtube video was very helpful in explaining the match in a simple way, I highly recommend watching if you're confused! ***

Reactions: 1 users