You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Matching algorithm
Started by PimplePete
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
PimplePete
New Member
To rephrase, would the person beat me if they didnt get placed in their #1 choice?
D
deleted205891
Depends on how that site ranks the other person. Always rank your sites how YOU would like to rank them, without consideration for how you think they would rank you; that's how the algorithm works.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on how that site ranks the other person. Always rank your sites how YOU would like to rank them, without consideration for how you think they would rank you; that's how the algorithm works.
This.
Also, general tidbit, don’t rank a site you don’t want to be at, or have even the faintest doubt you can do.
You should rank programs without regard to how you think you will be ranked. The answer to your question is yes if the program ranked them higher than you.
To answer your question, we don't know! We won't know until we see how they ranked the site you ranked #1 and how that program ranked them. Other programs, if they ranked them, play into their match journey too.
To expand on how the match works, see below:
Say you are applicant X and interview at Programs A, B, and C. You decide to rank them all, and in the following order (B > C > A). The number in parentheses signifies how many resident positions they offer. The letter + number below the program is their rank of candidates – in real life that'll be >4, but for now I want to keep it as short as possible. The blue letter + number indicates the number in parentheses, of how many spots they have open:
1. B (2)
Applicant W
1. C
2. B
(Did not rank A)
Applicant Y
1. C
2. A
3. B
Applicant Z
1. B
2. C
3. A
The match starts. It examines your rank list and sees that you have ranked Program B as #1. They have an open spot and ranked you, so now Program B looks like this:
1. B (2)
2. C (1)
2. C (1)
1. B (2)
1. B (2)
Note: You will for sure match to Program A if they ranked you highly, even though you ranked them lower. The only way you will be removed from Program A – and therefore not match – is if three candidates (because program A has three positions to offer), rank them highly, are placed there, and they have been ranked higher by Program A than they ranked you.
The final match appears like this:
A (3)
I hope this made sense! The match was very scary to me at first and now that I realize it's here to truly help me instead of hurt me. Good luck through the next few months!
To expand on how the match works, see below:
Say you are applicant X and interview at Programs A, B, and C. You decide to rank them all, and in the following order (B > C > A). The number in parentheses signifies how many resident positions they offer. The letter + number below the program is their rank of candidates – in real life that'll be >4, but for now I want to keep it as short as possible. The blue letter + number indicates the number in parentheses, of how many spots they have open:
1. B (2)
- B1
- B2
- B3
- B4
- C1
- C2
- C3
- C4
- A1
- A2
- A3
- A4
Applicant W
1. C
2. B
(Did not rank A)
Applicant Y
1. C
2. A
3. B
Applicant Z
1. B
2. C
3. A
The match starts. It examines your rank list and sees that you have ranked Program B as #1. They have an open spot and ranked you, so now Program B looks like this:
1. B (2)
- Applicant X
- B2
- B3
- B4
2. C (1)
- Applicant W
- C2
- C3
- C4
2. C (1)
- Applicant Y
- C2
- C3
- C4
1. B (2)
- Applicant X
- Applicant W
- B3
- B4
1. B (2)
- Applicant Z
- Applicant W
- B3
- B4
Note: You will for sure match to Program A if they ranked you highly, even though you ranked them lower. The only way you will be removed from Program A – and therefore not match – is if three candidates (because program A has three positions to offer), rank them highly, are placed there, and they have been ranked higher by Program A than they ranked you.
The final match appears like this:
A (3)
- Applicant X
- A2 (open)
- A3 (open)
- A4
- Applicant Z
- Applicant W
- B3
- B4
- Applicant Y
- C2
- C3
- C4
I hope this made sense! The match was very scary to me at first and now that I realize it's here to truly help me instead of hurt me. Good luck through the next few months!
nope! just like we won't know if they do or don't rank us.Do programs know if you didn't rank them at all?
The only way I can think of to find out that info would be if both you and the program went to second match. Then if the program ranked you, they know you didn't rank them and vice-versa.Do programs know if you didn't rank them at all?
Hello, could someone provide more insight into the following on the NMS website?
"Rank all programs to which you applied that would be acceptable. You may rank as many programs as you wish. Submitting a longer list of programs may reduce your chances of being left unmatched."
Applicants | Strategy for Ranking
I have asked previous residents/pharmacists and they mentioned that ranking all programs that I interview for could work against me. However this doesn't seem to be represented in the previous discussion thread above. I am interviewing for 9 programs, so I am wondering if I should rank every program even if I don't "love" one, but feel like I could rather go to X program than not do a residency. Obviously, if there is something negative about the program, I would not rank, but I am wondering if for the ones that fall in the "gray" area, if they are worth ranking even if they fall to #9 on my list. Thanks!
"Rank all programs to which you applied that would be acceptable. You may rank as many programs as you wish. Submitting a longer list of programs may reduce your chances of being left unmatched."
Applicants | Strategy for Ranking
I have asked previous residents/pharmacists and they mentioned that ranking all programs that I interview for could work against me. However this doesn't seem to be represented in the previous discussion thread above. I am interviewing for 9 programs, so I am wondering if I should rank every program even if I don't "love" one, but feel like I could rather go to X program than not do a residency. Obviously, if there is something negative about the program, I would not rank, but I am wondering if for the ones that fall in the "gray" area, if they are worth ranking even if they fall to #9 on my list. Thanks!
I don't think I understand your confusion. if you rank more places, your chances of matching are higher. But the critical thing is it may work against you in that if you ranked a place you hated just because you didn't want to not match, you're stuck at a place you're going to hate for a year.Hello, could someone provide more insight into the following on the NMS website?
"Rank all programs to which you applied that would be acceptable. You may rank as many programs as you wish. Submitting a longer list of programs may reduce your chances of being left unmatched."
Applicants | Strategy for Ranking
I have asked previous residents/pharmacists and they mentioned that ranking all programs that I interview for could work against me. However this doesn't seem to be represented in the previous discussion thread above. I am interviewing for 9 programs, so I am wondering if I should rank every program even if I don't "love" one, but feel like I could rather go to X program than not do a residency. Obviously, if there is something negative about the program, I would not rank, but I am wondering if for the ones that fall in the "gray" area, if they are worth ranking even if they fall to #9 on my list. Thanks!
If it's in the gray area in your opinion and you rank them, you won't match there unless that's how the match works out. it's not like the match just chooses a random one from your list, it goes in your rank order, with your preference first, then considers how the programs ranked the applicants.
tldr rank everywhere you think you can stand to work for a year, it can only help your odds of matching.
*** for me this youtube video was very helpful in explaining the match in a simple way, I highly recommend watching if you're confused! ***