Matching allo EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IdontTakeCall

MS IV
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a DO student with an avg DO transcript and board scores (COMLEX) only. I am applying allo em. I do have an advanced EM rotation at my top choice in november which is when interviews start. I have been told that rotating at your top choices and having the residents like you is 10x more important in you matching to that particular program than your scores. Curious as to the validity of that statement. Assuming I perform well on this rotation and am liked by all of the residents and attendings, will I have atleast a decent chance of matching there given avg comlex scores, no usmle and avg transcript? a side note, it is a very DO friendly program with 3-4 of their 12 residents a year being DO and the hospital is an hour from my home where i have lived my whole life and plan on living after residency so i guess i am "a local" to them. thoughts please.

Members don't see this ad.

There is quite a bit on this topic in the search.. But here is a short answer.

Rotating at a place will help you if they like you. If it is a very competitive place it might not make up for just average board scores. Just having the COMLEX only might hurt you unless they are all very very DO friendly. Most PDs don't know what a comlex score means. Last year when they were interviewing my PD asked me how to compare a comlex to a usmle score as she had no idea.

If it is a place that has lots of DOs you will probably get looked at like any other applicant MD/DO.

You should have a decent chance of matching somewhere with average scores, but EM is getting more competitive by the year. Make sure and apply broadly and all types of programs.

There is quite a bit on this topic in the search.. But here is a short answer.

Rotating at a place will help you if they like you. If it is a very competitive place it might not make up for just average board scores. Just having the COMLEX only might hurt you unless they are all very very DO friendly. Most PDs don't know what a comlex score means. Last year when they were interviewing my PD asked me how to compare a comlex to a usmle score as she had no idea.

If it is a place that has lots of DOs you will probably get looked at like any other applicant MD/DO.

You should have a decent chance of matching somewhere with average scores, but EM is getting more competitive by the year. Make sure and apply broadly and all types of programs.

Thanks. I am really hoping for the place I am rotating at as I am married, have several kids, and selling a house/getting a new mortgate and moving is going to be very difficult and this hospital is near my home. They are about 25-30% DO each year for the last 4 years which is decent id say. I am still going to apply broadly but really hoping they like me alot and that that can carry me.