Matching and anesthesia rotation for FMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spaslam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Foreign Med student (American Citizen though) who is trying to land an elective at an Anesthesia program before rank time in Jan.

Does anyone know of FMG-friendly Anesthesia residency programs for medical students? I am having little luck on my own. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also any ideas on a strategy for LORs until I get a gas rotation? is it possible to have NO LORs from anthesiologists and still get an interview? Any other advice would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that getting a rotation is much easier than you think.
I am a foreign grad (but really foreign - non citizen) and I did two anesthesia rotations in the States.
And also when I was applying for a visiting student rotation I did not have any of the USMLE steps under my belt.
A lot of places will ask if you took step I.
Your best bet would be researching the school you want to rotate at - they should have a list of available visiting rotations and the requirements.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a couple of issues:

1) It's almost October and you want to do a rotation by January. Most of the residencies have already filled their schedules with rotating medical students, and there may not be room at highly desirable programs for another student who's asking for the elective this late. You may end up getting the student rotations that are "left over" out of, well, not having anyone ask to rotate there. But that might turn out okay -- those are also the programs most likely to have a positive history of hiring FMG residents.

2) Any student, regardless of whether they are an AMG or FMG, can rotate at any program in the country at programs ranging from top-tier to on-probation, if they ask for the rotation EARLY enough. The question for you is, "If I rotate at this program, will they consider me as a residency applicant despite my being a FMG?" You don't want to waste your time rotating at a residency that wouldn't consider your application; yet there are a few relatively well respected residencies that have FMG residents (who weren't already, say, the most well-respected academic anesthesiologist in their country of origin prior to coming to residency).

Email or call each residency you're interested in and ask whether they have room for you to rotate. If they offer you an elective, then maybe the next thing to investigate is whether they have a history of considering FMG's seriously for their residency spots. If they have a strong history of being anti-FMG in resident selection, don't bother with the elective even if they offer it unless you really need a letter of recommendation.

Also, if you are interested in specific geographic regions, perhaps you could post asking about those specifically and some of us could respond if we've seen these programs already.... There ARE actually a lot of programs that interview FMG's even in some pretty competitive cities.

I have indeed contacted UNM. Thank you. I see they have some FMGs, including one from Ross, which like my school, Saba, is a Caribbean school.

Now what approach should I take about LORs? Does anyone ever submit applications without LORs from Anesthesia...or should I wait and submit one anesthesia letter later?

I met a UNM resident who had been very happy there. *wink*

A couple of places I applied at that seemed to consider FMG's:

Baystate Medical Center (Massachusetts)
Univ Massachusetts
? Univ Connecticut
Penn State
Boston University
St Elizabeth's Medical Center (Mass)

Submit whatever letters you have. You might consider uploading 3 letters (the programs require minimum 3), then uploading the gas letter as your 4th if you get one. You have room to upload a max of four letters. I applied and successfully matched with 3 so you don't necessarily need 4 letters.

Do you need rotation for 07 position or 08 position? I just feel that it might be late with a rotation after November for 07. Some schools are giving out interviews for November and December dates already. Any other opinions?

Going for '07 categorical position.

I have one LOR from an Anesthesiologist now. So feeling better about my chances.

FYI, UNM does not appear willing to take offshore students for clincal rotations unless they are NM state residents:

http://hsc.unm.edu/som/oss/externs.shtml

Am I wrong?

Hi
I am an IMG ( not a US citizen) and have completed three yrs of anesthesia residency in my country, India. I have applied for residency position in anesthesia and am awaiting calls, but alas thay are far n few. What is the current status for IMG's like me for getting anesthesia. I have 6 international publications under my belt and a research as well which I would be presenting at the ASA conference. Although, I had thought calls would not be a problem, as of now with only 1 call frm prelim med. n 1 frm anesthesia I am a bit apprehensive. Please guide anyone.

a little while back i posted a list of FMG friendly programs that a FMG friend of mine bought from a FMG counseling service... search the forum for IMG or FMG friendly and it should come up. make sure these programs were on your list. not sure how many programs you applied to but maybe you should add some more?

soberdoc,

I'm an IMG as well but unlike you I do not have a residency or research under my belt. I applied to a lot of programs and also received only one invitation so far. Everyone keeps telling me it's still early so I shouldn't worry too much but it's easier said than done.

Anyone having similar experience from last year's match?
your input would be much appreciated.