Matching into Derm without research fellowship or PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckdgusdl88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a prospective student at a top medical school strongly considering derm.
I would like to match into derm and begin my residency right after 4 years of medical school.

How realistic of a goal is it for a 4-year MD to match into derm?
How can I make myself a more attractive candidate against MD PhDs and those with research fellowships?

Obviously, gain as much research experience as possible (targetting for the number of publications), but any other tips or opinions? :)

Members don't see this ad.

The vast majority of applicants are "4 year MD". The MD PHD and research fellowship applicants are more rare than you might think.

Hi everyone,

I would like to match into derm and begin my residency right after 4 years of medical school.

How can I make myself a more attractive candidate against MD PhDs and those with research fellowships?

Obviously, gain as much research experience as possible (targetting for the number of publications), but any other tips or opinions? :)

But at my home program, the majority of the residents are either MD PhDs or people whove at least done a research fellowship... I would really hate to spend more time in med school than I have to...

Members don't see this ad :)
But at my home program, the majority of the residents are either MD PhDs or people whove at least done a research fellowship... I would really hate to spend more time in med school than I have to...

Your program shows you what it can take to Match...

This sort of post tells me you really do not know how hard it is to Match into Dermatology. Some people here would hate not to Match (those going through the interview/Match process right now). Would you rather not do Dermatology than spend an extra year outside of medical school, in a fellowship? Honestly, if you really want to do Dermatology and it requires from you an extra year or two, then you will do it. If not, then start considering a plan B so as to not waste time.

Actually, the entire point of this thread was that I am aware that how difficult it is and that people with extensive research experiences have a leg up.
I was looking for tips as to how I can better compete against these people without having to spend another year in school - even at my home derm program, there are some regular MDs so it is certainly possible.
I think it is more sensical to apply to start right after med school and then do research fellowships if I don't match.

Actually, the entire point of this thread was that I am aware that how difficult it is and that people with extensive research experiences have a leg up.
I was looking for tips as to how I can better compete against these people without having to spend another year in school - even at my home derm program, there are some regular MDs so it is certainly possible.
I think it is more sensical to apply to start right after med school and then do research fellowships if I don't match.

Good luck to you, ckdgusdl88! :oops: Let me echo N-Surge's accurate advice... Strongly consider your level of dedication to the field now as one can easily waste time and $$$ chasing the Derm dream. Unlike the other medical specialities, SDN is riddled with sad stories from amazing potential dermatologists.

If you do uncover a Derm residency non-research short-cut, please let us know. The roughly 600 stellar applicants vying for a happy ending on Match Day are all ears. ;)

Cheers,
C-man

Last edited:
I think I should re-phrase my question given that it is eliciting misunderstandings.

I am a prospective medical student (haven't started yet).
I realize that fantastic USMLEs, LORs, AND RESEARCH are required.

I am asking for a "4-year plan" to get into derm, not that I do not wish to do research.

There are people who realize later on in med school that they want to do derm and must prep for just 2 or 3 years. Some do match. There are also people who spend 5, 6, 7, or 8 years, but that is not the focus of this thread.

I was looking for answers along the lines of
-> Do research during the summers with the derm department, starting the summer after MS1.
-> Focus on short-turnaround, quick publications such as case reports.
etc.

Thanks!

Actually, the entire point of this thread was that I am aware that how difficult it is and that people with extensive research experiences have a leg up. I was looking for tips as to how I can better compete against these people without having to spend another year in school - even at my home derm program, there are some regular MDs so it is certainly possible.

I think most people, even the pure MDs, don't spend a 5th year in medical school. To get this edge you desire I suggest the following, all points together:

1. Have the personality everyone wants in a co-worker, not everyone has this
2. Realize your interviews are for a job, and know how to sell yourself well
3. Connections!
4. LORs from well known person with whom you did rotations with, perhaps at your institution, as well as at other institutions
5. AOA, not everyone has this
6. STEP 1 and 2 > 260+, not everyone has this
7. Honor everything, not everyone has this

Exactly! And no one here would disagree with this. I don't think anyone even suggested you do things differently. You have your plan B. ;)

This thread is very close to being a "What are my chances thread". Check out our sticky to see further ideas/discussions.

Hope this helps! :)

It's very realistic to match derm without a phd or research fellowship. Many people do it every year, more than it seems you think. Of course, a large subset of derm residents have done these things, but it is by no means a requirement. I think maybe the residents at your home program have done these things because you say it's a "top med school", which often have more of these people than "not as top med schools". Just do the best you can, get the best grades you can, get the best board scores you can, and try to get some publications in as well. Get to know your home program, get involved, be likeable, do some aways. Basically all of N-Surge's advice above. :)

Hi everyone,

A great resource would be to talk to upperclassmen at your school who are matching derm/matched into derm. They will be able to give you good advice as to what it takes, as well as who the good faculty resources are

I think I should re-phrase my question given that it is eliciting misunderstandings.

I am asking for a "4-year plan" to get into derm, not that I do not wish to do research.

There are people who realize later on in med school that they want to do derm and must prep for just 2 or 3 years. Some do match. There are also people who spend 5, 6, 7, or 8 years, but that is not the focus of this thread.

-> Do research during the summers with the derm department, starting the summer after MS1.
etc.

Thanks!

etc.

Thanks!

If you are looking for a 4 year plan to get into Derm, I assume that you are halfway through your 1st year of basic sciences. Since you are at a "Top Medical School" you've already put yourself in a good position. It's not a perfect position, and you still have plenty of time to do well or fail. Also, don't limit yourself to thinking that you have to go to a top derm program in order to become a dermatologist. All programs are prestigious simply by virtue of matching into this residency.

My advice to match into Dermatology in 4 years:
Do the right thing, be a good person, make friends with upper level students interested in dermatology, get involved with your Derm program early, start research early, start with small research projects first to gain quantity and to get your feet wet, do a larger project starting in mid-second year and completed by the end of your 3rd, honor as many basic sciences and clinical rotations as humanly possible, get at least a 250 on step 1 and 260 on step 2, blow away your shelf exams, get involved in student leadership at your school early, get involved with charity/volunteer outreach early, combine the previous efforts and be elected into AOA during your junior year, start the search for appropriate dermatology away rotations early in your 3rd year so you will have plenty of time to schedule these prized rotations early in your 4th year, find a well-known, well-rounded Academic Dermatology mentor; request letters of recommendation early from Academic Dermatologists who know you well and can speak of your special and exemplary attributes, be a delightful person and all-star student on away rotations, spend at least a month perfecting your ERAS application and personal statement in July between your 3rd and 4th year, apply to every Dermatology program on September 1st, ask to review your deans letter for errors in content well before the Nov 1st deadline, do not fall in love and therefore try to couples match, show up to all of your interviews well-prepared, well-dressed and on time; be honest with your interviewers and yourself about your intentions regarding residency and dermatology, send hand-written thank you notes to everyone who interviews you, get your mentor to send a follow-up email to your top program letting them know how much you loved their program emphasizing what an asset you would be to their program, never lie to a program telling them you are ranking them number 1, never pressure a program to promise you anything, never believe a program that promises to rank you to match, rank EVERY PROGRAM YOU INTERVIEW AT NO MATTER WHAT, schedule a celebration vacation after match day because if you do all of the aforementioned tips you will match and you will need a vacation.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty good synopsis. However, don't forget to also set aside/account for the $5000 or so it will cost to apply/travel for interviews.

I could add more, but I'm sure the OP probably gets the idea. :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much!!!

I think everyone missed one important bit of advice: be active on SDN ;)

etc.

Thanks!

Research during the summer after MS1 is definitely a good idea.

For those who can handle it, you can certainly continue it during MS2 if you attend a traditional school where the 1st 2 years are mostly didactic and the 2nd 2 years are clinical.