Matching into peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lara

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One week into IM and I think I'm pretty convinced it's not for me...so looks like I'll be going into peds. :) I understand it's fairly competitive in Canada compared to the States - from what I saw on the CaRMS website it only has an 80% match rate, and the only spot available for the second itineration was Saskatchewan.

I'm just curious if anyone might have tips for improving my chances...for instance, might doing really well on Step 2 (my Step 1 was an average 217) actually carry more weight in Canada? Do Canadian residencies give more importance to grades, similarly to applying to med school? What about away rotations - are they a must? How important are LORs and your personal statement?

Any input would be appreciated - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian residency programs don't even looks at USMLE scores. In fact, they don't even look at the Canadian board scores (LMCC) because when you match you haven't written it yet. Canadian residency programs, from my experience, place high importance on your personal statement, electives (ie, have you done one there) and LORs. Grades in med school are much less important because we have mostly pass/fail here (some have honours too).

BTW, an 80% match rate for a Canadian residency program is actually really good!

As a student from a US med school, you would probably have to enter the match either in the second iteration (not a lot of spots left!) or as an IMG... have you looked into it? Why do you want to come to Canada for residency?

Gene Queen

Actually as a US grad you can enter the first round of CaRMS in all the provinces that matter (BC, AB, ON, QC). You are NOT considered an IMG/FMG. I think MB and SK will only take you in the second round but most Canadians are from the above four provinces anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moo is right... I just saw that the other day. It is not that hard to find the info... I think it is the CME website.

Also I realized that some provinces.. let DOs match in the second round.. and I believe it was Alberta that allowes DO's to match in the first round. GOOD STUFF. I am hoping in 4 years.. they will have relaxed the rules on DO's. Especially in BC and Quebec.

Can someone explain the first and second iteration? I think i understand it.. but I am not sure. First being equal to first round... and second.. are for the residency still open after most First iteration students have matched. If this is true... are there stats on the number of positions that are still open. Published somewhere.

Thanks
BA

check out carms.ca... all the stats you could ever want.