Matching Ortho, How Important is Research? Difficulty gaining experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in Orthopedics. I have noticed a large % of successful applicants have done research. How important is this facet of the application (note: I did see one study where it ranked 10th or so of 26 factors)? Also, coming in as an M1, do research mentors expect you to have a solid knowledge of research? Are there any good sources I can study or read to improve my knowledge in this area or is experience the only teacher?

I have no research experience (only a research course for my science degree). I've heard by some that undergrad research experience is more like being a glorified lab rat that just collects data. I wouldn't know if that's true. What expectations will a researcher have from a student? If I work hard will I find a spot or do I need experience?

Seeing people with publications seem unattainable to a person with no experience and obviously busy M1 + M2 study schedule!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am interested in Orthopedics. I have noticed a large % of successful applicants have done research. How important is this facet of the application (note: I did see one study where it ranked 10th or so of 26 factors)? Also, coming in as an M1, do research mentors expect you to have a solid knowledge of research? Are there any good sources I can study or read to improve my knowledge in this area or is experience the only teacher?

I have no research experience (only a research course for my science degree). I've heard by some that undergrad research experience is more like being a glorified lab rat that just collects data. I wouldn't know if that's true. What expectations will a researcher have from a student? If I work hard will I find a spot or do I need experience?

Seeing people with publications seem unattainable to a person with no experience and obviously busy M1 + M2 study schedule!

Here are a couple documents that may help you determine what the relative importance of different parts of your application, but obviously individual programs may all be looking for something different than one another.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/62400/data/chartingoutcomes.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2010v3.pdf

I know that people match in ortho every year without having done any research. Its probably easier to do that if you have great board scores, honors in most of your medical school courses and maybe some other extracurriculars. If you feel like you need to do research then I'm sure there is someone at your school who can get you a project to work on. If your home ortho program has a research lab then speak with the lab director. Also, all ortho residents have to do at least one research project that is of "publishable quality," so if you can get ahold of a resident on a research month who has a project you're interested in then I'm sure they'd love for you to help them out. I don't think you need to necessarily have PUBLISHED research in order for it to benefit you. I personally haven't published anything yet, but I have worked on a project and have a couple abstracts submitted from it. That at least gives me something to talk about during interviews. This is all just my opinion though so if anyone else wants to chime in and disagree, feel free