Matching to residency without visiting program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYC_1997

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to ask if you guys thought it was worth interviewing with residency programs that you didn’t have a chance to visit or complete an externship at?

Does anyone know of people who matched at good programs this way?

Members don't see this ad.

Not talking from my own experience at all, but from what I've seen/heard from other classmates. This is not a common thing, especially at good programs. Ones that are more "out there" AKA more rural or just have 1 program to a city far from others, you'd have a higher chance I'd say, but I'd really never equate the two.

Just know that visiting < clerkship there, as a good rule of thumb.

Reactions: 1 user
The only people who matched to good programs that way- were the ones scrambling and the programs too embarrassed to admit they have to scramble a spot and had to snatch up the highest stat applicant to look good.

You can still match at a program you've never visited or clerked at before.

It is not the same as having been there, wanting to be there, and having the program want you.

I remember interviewing w/ Mercy in Toledo (never visited) and LOVED them. We clicked immediately, great residents / director, good convo, answered the rapid fire ?s pretty well, etc. They invited me to 2nd interview and enjoyed that also. Made me wish I externed there. I def ranked them (albeit not as high as others).

So... Try to visit as many as you can!

I did have some peeps in my class match with programs they only interviewed with (not many, but still).