Materials that work in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordansnfootbal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be a MS1 in the fall and was wondering what materials or strategies that you guys suggest will help me study for tests in med school? Just trying to get a list of materials so I can get ahead and see what materials I will be comfortable with as study aids.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
FA (though a new one will come out in jan) + Costanzo phys + a qbank (Rx or if u really have $$$ to spare, Uworld).

Doing practice questions will be more helpful than any other resource.

Members don't see this ad :)
First semester is two mega-courses that mix and match embryology, biochemistry/molecular biology/genetics, histology, and anatomy. Second semester is three blocks, first is physio, second is micro/immuno, third is when true organ blocks begin as neuro.

Exams are standardized across all campuses, and written by all professors who teach that block across the courses. All exam questions from each professor are thrown in a giant pool, and the professors discuss each others' questions before exams to include/exclude them from the exams. From what we've observed, the course-director (usually in Indy) gets the final say and the greatest weight in how each block and exam is organized.

Curriculum is pass/fail. Only recently has mandatory attendance been revoked for didactic lectures. TBL is still mandatory.

Because your exams are prof written, I would recommend talking with your upperclassmen about what they recommend to study for your school exams. At least at my school, I hardly used any resources other than lecture slides for my professor written exams.

In terms of external resources that can be used for step prep before dedicated time, identifying key points/info, and extra info on stuff you are having trouble with from lecture, my go-to's are:
  • Pathoma - series of videos on pathology with companion textbook to follow along
  • Sketchy Micro & Sketchy Pharm - series of videos that are basically memorization tools to help cram in little details about bugs and drugs. There is also a new Sketchy Path series out that I have not checked out yet.
  • Costanzo Physiology - long but excellent physiology textbook
  • First Aid - I always read this closer to the exam for mnemonics, a "big picture" review, and identifying important concepts
  • High Yield Embryology - super short & sweet embryology review book; this one is not as commonly used but I swear by it.
  • For anatomy: Anatomy Practicals
My guy this was a big help. Good looks on the information!

Reactions: 2 users
Can't go wrong with BRS. If you can't find a copy, go to bing/google and type "[COURSE] medical practice exam." I can't stress practice questions enough.

Don't buy anything before school. The MS2s will have good advice (and may have free resources). You don't know what your school teaches well and you don't know your style yet. I do not like Pathoma, for example, and have other resources to replace it.

The only thing you will 100% buy is FA.

Does someone have a comprehensive list of sources available?

Reactions: 1 users