Math and Problem Solving used in hospital pharmacy

Started by newslang
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

newslang

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm really curious about the math skills involved in various tasks of hospital pharmacy such as dosing based on renal function, preparing TPNs etc. I looked up renal dosing online and just found a big chart. There must be some use for calc II, right?
 
I'm really curious about the math skills involved in various tasks of hospital pharmacy such as dosing based on renal function, preparing TPNs etc. I looked up renal dosing online and just found a big chart. There must be some use for calc II, right?

My exposure is somewhat limited, but the calculations we've done in school so far don't go beyond algebra. Cockcroft-Gault (for estimating creatinine clearance) is pure plug-n-chug.

I guess you could use Calc II to find an AUC (area under the curve used for drug absorption), but a graphing calculator will handle it as will a computer and I don't think the average pharmacist calculates many AUCs.
 
There must be some use for calc II, right?

yes. To stimulate pain receptors in the butt.

As far as hospital dosing , most have software that helps pharmacists in dosing calculations. I don't think it is so much the math skill that matters but actually knowing how renal dosing or weight dosing works
 
Altho previous posters had such eloquent descriptions of what we actually do.....no - we don't use Calc II in our daily lives. That is the beauty of software!

But....the importance of knowing Calc & the way the programs work & how they were derived is knowing when the number they give you is NOT RIGHT!!!!!!

That is called judgement - which takes time & experience to gain - thus - pharmacy school. Otherwise...we'd be out of a job (or at least - that job).

I've personally worked with a pharmacist who had the experience of putting pts into acute renal failure not just once - but THREE TIMES! by just plugging & chugging! She had no idea the numbers were coming out wrong & why they were wrong. She just got a number & there you go - Bob's your're uncle - you have a dose.......3 days later the SCr spikes to 4!

That is why you're going to need more than just a degree in the future - you're going to have to demonstrate ability. At least that is the prediction, which I don't think is far wrong (this is both for inpt as well as outpt). Otherwise...you'll be checking pyxis or licking & sticking.