math classes in high school for pre-med

studybunny6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am asking this for a second time just to get a better perspective, so if you have answered once please don't answer again just because I want to hear what other people think

9th grade: algebra 1
10th grade: geometry H
11th grade: algebra 2 H
12th grade: pre-calculus H

I really want to go to the university of Chicago (it's not my only choice though) but I read on their website that for premed you must take calculus for premed.. so im not sure. It's a little hard to double up on math classes because of all of the other courses I have to take and I can only take 6 courses a year.

But it is possible to take a semester of calculus my senior year but is that even worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From my understanding and opinion it wouldn't even be worth it. I don't think medical schools accept any AP courses for prerequisites and I believe pre-calculus will prepare you enough for college calculus. I took AP calculus in high school, but also took Calculus II and III while in college which covered the math prerequisite. It all depends on if you need more calculus/math required for your undergraduate major.

for premed you must take calculus for premed
Where do you see this? Colleges often require their premedical students to take calculus, you may be misreading that requirement. I sincerely doubt they require highschoolers to take Calc in order to apply, since many high schools do not even offer it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you see this? Colleges often require their premedical students to take calculus, you may be misreading that requirement. I sincerely doubt they require highschoolers to take Calc in order to apply, since many high schools do not even offer it.
When is Calculus going to be used in medical school? Statistics is more useful.

No problem ! Totally agree about stats > anything beyond basic Calc

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
thank you for the feedback, guys!

and on that point Calculus isn't a requirement for some med schools (some require it) but it is recommended.