Math DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingo1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was just curious as to how everyone prepared for the math DAT? I am having a really hard time only with the math because I have not seen any of this in years. I purchased the DAT destroyer and math destroyer to help me but I get lost in some of the explanations and then waste time and never truly understand.

my most important questions are:

1. is the DAT math formatted the same as the destroyer? meaning if the destroyer asks something like if you have an area of 16ft by 12ft and have tiles of 4in by 3in how much money can you spend if for every 12 tiles its 3 dollars? will I see something similar but with different numbers or should I expect questions with concepts that I might never seen before? I will also purchase iprep later will that one be more accurate or no?

2. should I do the DAT destroyer with no calculator? because some numbers seem a bit hard to do with no calculator and I was really hoping never to see numbers like that on the DAT.

3. Is the math more about tricks rather than being a math genius? like is there tricks to make everything more simple that could apply to the question styles from the DAT?

4. lastly, how much should i even use the plain calculator provided? Should I be able to do mental math and not use calculators for all problems or do people use the calculator during the exam once in a while? because I think it would be very time consuming to try and divide none even numbers and multiple a three digit number by anything without a calculator. or should i get to the point that i can do the math independently?

I am really hoping that the question styles are the same that way I can get a feel of the exam and just get really fast at doing these problems but again, I have no clue if it will be the same style.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. I would say the math destroyer is a little harder than the actual DAT. With that being said don't underestimate the math section, I would take every question into serious consideration. You really don't want to skip a question just because you think it's too hard for them to ask, then come test day and its one of the questions. As far as the difficult numbers go, you'll eventually get used to solving problems in your head again.

2. Remember they can't ask you a crazy problem that isn't doable on a computer calculator. Get used to solving problems on a computer calculator with a standard mouse.

If you do the DAT destroyer, Math destroyer, and DAT Bootcamp QR section you'll do great. I personally thought QR on DAT bootcamp was the best representation of the DAT since the quantitative comparison is on a computer. Also, try to get your hands on a laminated piece of paper and an expo marker and use that while solving problems.

Good luck!

iprep is expensive, and not a lot of people have used it, nor has there been a ton of discussion on it's effectiveness here

Reactions: 1 user
I did math destroyer twice and all the bootcamp math tests twice. Every time I got a problem wrong I would mark it and practice more of that type. I would also revisit the problem later and try to solve it correctly. There aren't a ton of types of questions they can ask so make sure you are familiarized and comfortable with the types asked in both BC and destroyer.

The test is not trick heavy like the SAT but the problems are quite formulaic and if you learn how to do a problem backward and forward you're set for the test.

I didn't use a calculator when I was practicing but on my real DAT a question or two required exact decimal places. The calculator is easy to use.

Reactions: 1 user