Math Destroyer Frustration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkhan27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is this really that hard. I just started Math Destroyer today and I have been through 10 problems and I feel like they are all wrong so far. I am literally about to pull my hair out of my head!!!! Somebody please provide some input and advice. I felt confident before starting this, but now I feel frustrated and dumb.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't taken the DAT yet but many people say that Destroyer is a bit harder than the real thing. The first time I went through the tests I was getting about 20/40. I'm on my second round an easily getting 34+ of them correct. They ask a lot of similar questions (like "John paints a fence in 4 hours, Bob paints a fence in 3 hours, how long does it take them to paint a fence together?" and stuff involving d=vt or finding average velocity). Once you do a bunch of these, it starts to become second nature. Just make sure to review all of the question you get wrong and learn from them. Don't worry about timing for your first runthrough.

I haven't taken the DAT yet but many people say that Destroyer is a bit harder than the real thing. The first time I went through the tests I was getting about 20/40. I'm on my second round an easily getting 34+ of them correct. They ask a lot of similar questions (like "John paints a fence in 4 hours, Bob paints a fence in 3 hours, how long does it take them to paint a fence together?" and stuff involving d=vt or finding average velocity). Once you do a bunch of these, it starts to become second nature. Just make sure to review all of the question you get wrong and learn from them. Don't worry about timing for your first runthrough.

So if you were unsure of a question and tried everything you know, then would you try your best to guess the right answer. There are somethings that I feel like I never even learned or know in depth. For instance standard deviation formula. One question asked about it and I looked at the numbers and just guessed which one it most likely could be.

Have you watched Chad's videos? I highly recommend them. He goes over things that you probably haven't seen since high school and gives you shortcuts for different types of problems that saves a ton of time.

I think I know which standard deviation problem you're talking about. For those problems, knowing the standard deviation formula isn't necessary. Just look to see which of the choices has the largest range. If the ranges are the same, find the one that has the most variance. For example, take a look at these sets:
A. [2 4 6 8 10]
B. [15 17 19 21 23]
C. [6 8 8 12 14]
All 3 sets have the same range, so that doesn't tell us which std dev is greatest. You can see that A and B have the same variance, whereas C has a higher variance and therefore a greater standard deviation.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not alone, lol. I feel the same exact way :( I guess we have to keep pushing ourselves to understand how to solve the problems.

Have you watched Chad's videos? I highly recommend them. He goes over things that you probably haven't seen since high school and gives you shortcuts for different types of problems that saves a ton of time.

I think I know which standard deviation problem you're talking about. For those problems, knowing the standard deviation formula isn't necessary. Just look to see which of the choices has the largest range. If the ranges are the same, find the one that has the most variance. For example, take a look at these sets:
A. [2 4 6 8 10]
B. [15 17 19 21 23]
C. [6 8 8 12 14]
All 3 sets have the same range, so that doesn't tell us which std dev is greatest. You can see that A and B have the same variance, whereas C has a higher variance and therefore a greater standard deviation.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I watched Chad's videos and his QR and it was very helpful. I guess this is way too much...I'll try and dive more into it. I think I just gotta suck it up and accept it and keep practicing. Hopefully it'll come to me.

I quit math destroyer because it was so hard. I was probobly getting like 3 out of 10 right un-timed. I kept reading breakdowns and saw people say, "math destroyer is spot on with the DAT and boot camp is just miserably hard, I wouldn't recommend doing it." So I wanted to see what they were talking about and went and did boot camp and scored a 21.... Either they were using an easier version of math destroyer or idk. I take the DAT next Tuesday so I will update and let you know.

I've gotten the same results through my second run.

Man I really need a lot of work. Just finished Practice Test 1 on Math Destroyer and I got 26/40. I feel so dumb right now.....Some of the questions I even had to guess on without any knowledge so technically I should just take away like 5-6 points away from my score.

Man I really need a lot of work. Just finished Practice Test 1 on Math Destroyer and I got 26/40. I feel so dumb right now.....Some of the questions I even had to guess on without any knowledge so technically I should just take away like 5-6 points away from my score.
We all start there. I felt the same way as you did about a month ago. After I did the exams, learned from my mistakes, watch countless videos of profRobBob, I'm now hitting the 20s. Just keep your chin up. It takes time, but you'll get there. DON'T give up.

I wouldn't try to guess the right answer.
If I am not confident about my subject, it could be A. I don't know this material and B. I need to get more info BEFORE taking real DAT exam.
try not to avoid to improve your knowledge base otherwise you will pay double for test (s) and feel the same way you are feeling right now.

i know this is obviously very late, but if you are frustrated with it just keep at it and try to find tricks to learn how to do those questions. It is definitely hard but it will prepare you for the worst and you will feel way more relieved when you look at a much higher score than you expected. good luck!

Do not quit. Simply look into their answer explanations and see why you are getting the wrong answer. See what you have not learned and learn it. It is tough, but if you learn the material and can do tough problems, you will only have to take this test once.

Do not quit. Simply look into their answer explanations and see why you are getting the wrong answer. See what you have not learned and learn it. It is tough, but if you learn the material and can do tough problems, you will only have to take this test once.

i know this is obviously very late, but if you are frustrated with it just keep at it and try to find tricks to learn how to do those questions. It is definitely hard but it will prepare you for the worst and you will feel way more relieved when you look at a much higher score than you expected. good luck!

@biomolecmed @JHekmati @shyfox9p Did you guys write down the questions and answers for Math Destroyer for the ones you didn't know material well on or you got wrong. In addition, did you guys write down a way to explain the way the work was done to understand it better for next time. How did you guys take notes for material you felt was important. Did you review that material everyday or did you try to do more practice problems like that.

For example if I had a problem with an ellipse and foci problem, then would you guys take notes and try other problems similar to it online? Thank you.

I took the DAT yesterday. I am horrible at math. I made an 18QR. Questions were basic. Actually all sections were basic. You will be fine.

I do feel your pain though as I was freaking out about math as well. But the questions are easier than anything you will see in the study material.

Reactions: 1 users
I do feel your pain though as I was freaking out about math as well. But the questions are easier than anything you will see in the study material.

Thanks. Anyone else able to provide their input on how to succeed will be really appreciated. Thanks!

@biomolecmed @JHekmati @shyfox9p Did you guys write down the questions and answers for Math Destroyer for the ones you didn't know material well on or you got wrong. In addition, did you guys write down a way to explain the way the work was done to understand it better for next time. How did you guys take notes for material you felt was important. Did you review that material everyday or did you try to do more practice problems like that.

For example if I had a problem with an ellipse and foci problem, then would you guys take notes and try other problems similar to it online? Thank you.
Basically, just do as many problems in troublesome areas as you can. See what you did wrong and learn from your mistakes.