Math Destroyer Practice Test 1 #27

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birddds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have an inquiry on this question: "Half the population of Green Village is vegetarian, and 35% ride bicycles. If 20% are both vegetarian and ride bicycles, what is the probability that a person chosen at random from Green Village is either a vegetarian or rides a bicycle?". The solution is 50%-20%=30%, 35%-20%=15%, 30%+15%+20%=65%. I only vaguely understand why you would subtract 20% from 50% and 35%, but I'm having some trouble understanding why you would add it back in at the end. Thank you in advance for your time and responses!

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is 65%.

50% vegetarian
35% ride bicycles
but you know that 20% are BOTH vegetarian and ride bicycles.

50%-20% = 30% are VEGETARIAN, but do not ride bicycles
35% - 20% = 15% ride BICYCLES, but are not vegetarian
20% are BOTH VEGETARIAN and ride BICYCLES

thus

30% + 15% + 20% = 65%

Reactions: 1 user
I think i've just been misunderstanding what the question has been asking, thank you!

The answer is 65%.

50% vegetarian
35% ride bicycles
but you know that 20% are BOTH vegetarian and ride bicycles.

50%-20% = 30% are VEGETARIAN, but do not ride bicycles
35% - 20% = 15% ride BICYCLES, but are not vegetarian
20% are BOTH VEGETARIAN and ride BICYCLES

thus

30% + 15% + 20% = 65%
c

can you elaborate rather than re quote whats in the back of the book..

Members don't see this ad :)
the easiest way I have found to do these is to make a venn diagram and write the percentages in the circles and work the math out from there.

so two overlapping circles: Vegetarian, and Bike riders. The overlapped portion would be bike riders that are also vegetarian.

I try to start with the given numbers that are absolutes. I.E. that 20% are bike riding vegetarians and thus, would belong in the overlapped portion. This number gives us the other percentages remaining. So, 50% of the population are vegetarian, minus 20% that are also bikers = 30% that are just vegetarians and not bikers. Similarly, 35% that are bikers minus 20% that are both = 15% that are just bikers and not vegetarians.

so the venn diagram would look like 30/20/15 (Veg/Both/Bikers) and the question asks the likelihood that a person is either a vegetarian or a biker... which all of those numbers would fall into. Thus you add them up and gives you 65%.

the easiest way I have found to do these is to make a venn diagram and write the percentages in the circles and work the math out from there.

so two overlapping circles: Vegetarian, and Bike riders. The overlapped portion would be bike riders that are also vegetarian.

I try to start with the given numbers that are absolutes. I.E. that 20% are bike riding vegetarians and thus, would belong in the overlapped portion. This number gives us the other percentages remaining. So, 50% of the population are vegetarian, minus 20% that are also bikers = 30% that are just vegetarians and not bikers. Similarly, 35% that are bikers minus 20% that are both = 15% that are just bikers and not vegetarians.

so the venn diagram would look like 30/20/15 (Veg/Both/Bikers) and the question asks the likelihood that a person is either a vegetarian or a biker... which all of those numbers would fall into. Thus you add them up and gives you 65%.
This made sense ily thanks!!!!

Reactions: 1 users