Math destroyer test 1 # 3 review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted738762

Is this a good way of solving the question?
I didn't use the midpoint formula.
If the base is 8, then the area of the unshaded triangle is 6 via (.5)(4)(3). Based on what they gave us in the question.

Then if the midpoint of line AC is 5, then AC is equal to 10. So for the whole triangle I used the p. theorm. Which was a^2+8^2=10^2. So I got a or height is equal to 6.
Then I used the area formula (.5)(6)(8) to get 24.

So the whole area is 24, and the area of the unshaded region is 6 so 24-6 I got the area to be 18.
Let me know.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How do I not notice this earlier o_O. Don't use the MP formula it's a waste of time. It's a 6-8-10 rt triangle and the other is proportionally smaller. If the point is 4,3 then height = 3, base = 4. So yeah 24-6= 18.

Reactions: 1 user
How do I not notice this earlier o_O. Don't use the MP formula it's a waste of time. It's a 6-8-10 rt triangle and the other is proportionally smaller. If the point is 4,3 then height = 3, base = 4. So yeah 24-6= 18.
Yes I found this to be way easier. I first looked at it the answer and they used the midpoint equation with other information. I said screw that and did it my own way lol.

Sorry for double post but you don't need to use pythag if you understand the 3-4-5. A lot of DAT questions can just scale up from there so 6-8-10, 9-12-15, 12-16-20 etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for double post but you don't need to use pythag if you understand the 3-4-5. A lot of DAT questions can just scale up from there so 6-8-10, 9-12-15, 12-16-20 etc.
Wow you are right I completely missed that. That literally would have taken like 10 seconds to solve lol