1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

math destroyer test 2 #40

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Vsno123, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Vsno123

Pre-Dental
    I think I'm missing something because this seems like an easy problem to solve:

What is the largest possible value of x in the expression |16-2x| is less than or equal to 4?

The answer says to flip the equation to |2x-16|. I see that those two are equal but why do you have to flip the equation to solve this problem?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PooyaH

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If it was to stay at l16-2xl then the highest x could be was 6. But when you change it to l2x-16l, now the highest x value would be 10. And obviously since 10 is greater than 6, it is the highest possible x value.

4. Vsno123

Pre-Dental
    ok well that make sense lol... I guess I'll solve these absolute inequalities both ways and just pick the highest out of the two answers. thanks!