math (log) qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

krishna1990

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
log (abc/d) = log ab - log (d/c)
I am not quite sure how they got the last part?! im not sure if its a typo becasue i think the answer should be log (ab) - Log (c/d)
what do yall think?
 
log (abc/d) = log ab - log (d/c)
I am not quite sure how they got the last part?! im not sure if its a typo becasue i think the answer should be log (ab) - Log (c/d)
what do yall think?

log(abc/d) = log ab + log (c/d) = log (ab) - log (d/c)

Since it is subtracting instead of adding, the numerator and denominator are switched to produce the same answer.
 
log (abc/d) = log ab - log (d/c)
I am not quite sure how they got the last part?! im not sure if its a typo becasue i think the answer should be log (ab) - Log (c/d)
what do yall think?

log (abc/d) = log abc - log d
=log ab + log c - log d
= log ab - log d + log c
= log ab - (log d - log c)
= log ab - log (d/c)

This is how I proceed the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Both of you are correct .. but its better to go for the easiest way to solve the problem! since the longer version might take up more time during the actual exam!