Math major --> Pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Berkeleygrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone this route? If I took math classes years ago (I have a graduate degree), do I not have to take calc again? I honestly don't think I remember much Calc 1 and 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gone this route? If I took math classes years ago (I have a graduate degree), do I not have to take calc again? I honestly don't think I remember much Calc 1 and 2.

No reason for you to. Calc, as a rule, is a recommended and not a required class.

doing it now. if you're trying to major in math, you'd probably want to retake calc 1/2 if you don't remember the basics...

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe a post-bac program would be right for you (if you have already earned a degree), in which case they would probably set the rules about what you can be exempted from. You pretty much just need the year of bio, year of chemistry, year of orgo, and year of physics, although some schools will want biochem, writing, or math classes on top of that. I think having a graduate degree in math would cover any school requirements (and I know for some med schools college level math is required) and I don't think there is an expiration date for those courses, although I'm not sure.

Reactions: 1 user
doing it now. if you're trying to major in math, you'd probably want to retake calc 1/2 if you don't remember the basics...

I already have my BS (08 grad). I took calc 2 back in fall of 04, which is why I don't remember many of the specifics particular to the course.

Last edited:
Maybe a post-bac program would be right for you (if you have already earned a degree), in which case they would probably set the rules about what you can be exempted from. You pretty much just need the year of bio, year of chemistry, year of orgo, and year of physics, although some schools will want biochem, writing, or math classes on top of that. I think having a graduate degree in math would cover any school requirements (and I know for some med schools college level math is required) and I don't think there is an expiration date for those courses, although I'm not sure.

Thanks. So do they average my cumulative GPA with the pre-med classes? Or do they just look at the pre-med GPA?

I almost double majored in English, so I took a ton of English courses in college. I assume those count as writing reqs?

Thanks. So do they average my cumulative GPA with the pre-med classes? Or do they just look at the pre-med GPA?

I almost double majored in English, so I took a ton of English courses in college. I assume those count as writing reqs?

No such thing as a "pre-med GPA." Your GPA is reported as a cumulative undergraduate GPA and a cumulative graduate GPA (credits applied toward the receipt of a graduate degree). Your undergraduate GPA is further separated into grades earned before receipt of your first bachelor's degree and grades earned after (post-baccalaureate) that are not applied towards a graduate degree. All GPAs are separated into BCPM (biology, chemistry, physics, math) GPA and AO (all others).

Your English courses would likely count as meeting med school requirements.

Part of my prerequisites were completed in the last century and they were still acceptable to schools. Generally, contact schools to find out what they prefer.

No such thing as a "pre-med GPA." Your GPA is reported as a cumulative undergraduate GPA and a cumulative graduate GPA (credits applied toward the receipt of a graduate degree). Your undergraduate GPA is further separated into grades earned before receipt of your first bachelor's degree and grades earned after (post-baccalaureate) that are not applied towards a graduate degree. All GPAs are separated into BCPM (biology, chemistry, physics, math) GPA and AO (all others).

Your English courses would likely count as meeting med school requirements.

Part of my prerequisites were completed in the last century and they were still acceptable to schools. Generally, contact schools to find out what they prefer.

Alright, thanks!

So do they care more about the BCPM GPA, than the AO GPA, I presume?

Also, I see you are a non-trad as well. One thing that discourages me from going through with the process is the fact that I'll have to stay in school until I'm in my early/mid-30s. (I went straight through a grad program post-undergrad, so I have pretty much been in school forever.) If you don't mind me asking, what encouraged you to quit your job and return to med school?

So do they care more about the BCPM GPA, than the AO GPA, I presume?

Yes. Two GPAs are considered to be important: your BCPM GPA (alternately, sGPA) and your cumulative GPA (cGPA). As a non-trad taking post-bacc classes, your post-bacc sGPA and cGPA would be of more importance, as they are more reflective of your current abilities.

Also, I see you are a non-trad as well. One thing that discourages me from going through with the process is the fact that I'll have to stay in school until I'm in my early/mid-30s. (I went straight through a grad program post-undergrad, so I have pretty much been in school forever.) If you don't mind me asking, what encouraged you to quit your job and return to med school?

I don't mind at all. I think the simple answer is that if I'm going to be overworked, I want to be overworked doing something I would have overworked myself doing anyway. I hope that made some sense. :)

If you're curious about the stories of other non-trads, check out the nontraditional students forum. There are plenty of stories of career changers and other non-traditional applicants that I think will help you on your journey.

I was a math major (well, a math and biology double major) and it was perfectly possible. I don't think you'll need to take calc 1/2 again, unless you really want to. Have you already finished the math degree and are you going back to school to take the premed classes, or vice versa?

Yeah, finished math degree.

Last edited:

yea i am doing that now. dual majoring in Applied mathematics and statistics (AMS) / Economics. however the longer i stay on this route the more i like it. also i been paying alot more attention to the job aspects of these type of degrees and they all seem rly good.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/st_BESTJOBS2010_20100105.html

http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/08/best-worst-jobs-leadership-careers-hiring-best_slide_2.html

a quick glance ull be able to see alot of them are math related, or engineering.

ugh i didn't mean to go off topic. any ways, math gpa is counted in with BCPM and if ur good at math, then they are easy A's for u to collect as opposed to taking physical chem or any high lv sciences.

yea i am doing that now. dual majoring in Applied mathematics and statistics (AMS) / Economics. however the longer i stay on this route the more i like it. also i been paying alot more attention to the job aspects of these type of degrees and they all seem rly good.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/st_BESTJOBS2010_20100105.html

http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/08/best-worst-jobs-leadership-careers-hiring-best_slide_2.html

a quick glance ull be able to see alot of them are math related, or engineering.

ugh i didn't mean to go off topic. any ways, math gpa is counted in with BCPM and if ur good at math, then they are easy A's for u to collect as opposed to taking physical chem or any high lv sciences.

Yeah, supposedly there's going to be greater demand for actuaries than MDs in the future. Thing is they have to take so, so many exams in a period of 4-8 years post-grad, but based off what I read, being actuary > being MD in terms of job prospects.

I got As/A-s in math, haven't taken any of the other sci reqs though. Still debating it. Thing is I'm really not sure I want to wait til 35 to start a career. :/

you do not need to take calculus again.

Yeah, supposedly there's going to be greater demand for actuaries than MDs in the future. Thing is they have to take so, so many exams in a period of 4-8 years post-grad, but based off what I read, being actuary > being MD in terms of job prospects.

I got As/A-s in math, haven't taken any of the other sci reqs though. Still debating it. Thing is I'm really not sure I want to wait til 35 to start a career. :/

i don't know where they get this list, but I'd take the BLS estimates over the WSJ everytime - and they state that while actuary employment is projected to grow quite fast over the next ten years, the number of qualified applicants will grow even faster, making competition "keen." besides, you're likely going to end up working for an insurance company, ugh.

honestly, this WSJ thing is a list that ranks "philosopher" as the 16th best job. yeah i'm sure everything about it is sweet except the fact that you're unemployed.

yea, by then we did be 13 years into some other career, prob have gotten far. 13 years as an actuary with a FCAS according to http://www.dwsimpson.com/salary.html could land u at 250k. which is a pretty good place to be considering avg doc dont even make that much.

altho 35 does seem late. avg age of entering med skool if i am not mistaken is like 24, 4 years of skool, 28, 4 years of residency, 32. now if the Md does additional residency training, which they often do, they could end up 35 more or less.

but seriously, how does mathematicians make medium of 100k lol, are they PHDs? masters?

yea, by then we did be 13 years into some other career, prob have gotten far. 13 years as an actuary with a FCAS according to http://www.dwsimpson.com/salary.html could land u at 250k. which is a pretty good place to be considering avg doc dont even make that much.

altho 35 does seem late. avg age of entering med skool if i am not mistaken is like 24, 4 years of skool, 28, 4 years of residency, 32. now if the Md does additional residency training, which they often do, they could end up 35 more or less.

but seriously, how does mathematicians make medium of 100k lol, are they PHDs? masters?

yeah, 13 years WE, plus i think the money is for actuaries is better on average taking into account costs of med school, plus better hours/QOL. and if you work in primary, supposedly the hours/pay/overhead/type of work really suck.

i have a grad degree already, and am 24 right now...just wondering if it's even worth it to start at 35+ because i think i do want to have a family at some point.

i think they have master's? not sure what use a PhD is unless you teach or work for a federal agency or something.

Last edited:
i have a grad degree already, and am 24 right now...just wondering if it's even worth it to start at 35+ because i think i do want to have a family at some point.

You'll hear a wide variety of opinions on whether it's "worth it," but never forget that ultimately it's your own values that will determine if it's "worth it" to you.

That having been said, if you believe that becoming a physician at this time of your life is going to preclude you from having kids, I'd solicit advice in the nontrad forum just so that you have your viewpoint challenged. Maybe you'll change your mind, maybe you won't; but at least you'll have made as informed a decision as possible.

It would make no sense for you take calculus again, but I would check every school before I applied to see what their rule was.

btw, how can you not remember much "Calc 1 and 2"? That really doesn't speak well to Berkeley's math program.

It would make no sense for you take calculus again, but I would check every school before I applied to see what their rule was.

btw, how can you not remember much "Calc 1 and 2"? That really doesn't speak well to Berkeley's math program.

I didn't use a lot of the particulars i learned in calc 1 and 2 in the upper div math/stats courses and I took those classes a long time ago. Don't get me wrong - those were some of the easiest classes I took in college.

My grad degree was not in math and I finished my grad degree at Columbia, not Berkeley (undergrad).

You'll hear a wide variety of opinions on whether it's "worth it," but never forget that ultimately it's your own values that will determine if it's "worth it" to you.

That having been said, if you believe that becoming a physician at this time of your life is going to preclude you from having kids, I'd solicit advice in the nontrad forum just so that you have your viewpoint challenged. Maybe you'll change your mind, maybe you won't; but at least you'll have made as informed a decision as possible.

Thanks for the advice.