Math Pre-requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aceegreene

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Have just been looking up and trying to figure out what courses meet the math pre-req requirements for most med schools. Ideally, one should take calculus 1 and a stats course and be good to go. My issue is that calculus is not my strong suit, so I was wondering what other math course I can take instead of calculus 1 to satisfy this requirement? Will pre-calculus work?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools require calc 1 and highly recommend stats. Pre-calc wont substitute calc 1 since that is the pre-req for it. There is no way around it for those schools unfortunately.

I think only 5ish schools actually require calculus. Unless your heart is set on one of those schools I wouldn’t bother taking it. Stats will cover you for the vast majority of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to apply to programs requiring calculus there really won’t be a way around it. Some schools may accept more advanced versions of a course in case one received AP credit for it, but they never take lower level courses as a substitute.

Very few schools specifically require calculus. Statistics or a year of college level math is more common.

If you want to apply to programs requiring calculus there really won’t be a way around it. Some schools may accept more advanced versions of a course in case one received AP credit for it, but they never take lower level courses as a substitute.

Very few schools specifically require calculus. Statistics or a year of college level math is more common.

Excuse my lack of familiarity with the US undergraduate system. But what does a year of college level math mean? What courses constitute this (I’m assuming statistics is one)?