Math prerequisite question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prissy1818

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken precalculus 3 times already (in cc and university) and now I can't take it again since that's the limit. Since I can't retake it I was wondering what else can I do since I need to take calculus in order to take physics.

Members don't see this ad.

Take college trigonometry if your uni offers it. It might be allowed since precal is all trig.

I
Take college trigonometry if your uni offers it. It might be allowed since precal is all trig.
I have actually and have passed that class. So you're saying to talk to them and see if I can replace precalculus requirement with my trig?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know at a local CC prereq for calc I is either precal or college trig. It might be the same. Talk to the math chair

You could also see if there's somewhere you can take Algebra based physics rather than calc based physics. Same material but different teaching methods; maybe the prerequisite would be different. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Precal is a prereq for alg based physics...

Not at my school. The only math I have ever taken is college algebra and stats. I've taken Physics I and am enrolled for Physics II this semester (algebra-based).

Do not take calc-based physics. Waste of time.

Well it's because most med schools require calc based physics or calculus for that matter
Isn't like... Harvard the only school that actually requires calc based physics? And yes, some do require calc as a prereq; but the majority simply want two semesters of math.

Regardless, calc-based physics won't be on the MCAT and it should only be taken if you oddly think you'd enjoy it more than algebra-based physics.

Well it's because most med schools require calc based physics or calculus for that matter

If by most schools you mean maybe one or two require calc-based physics and ~8 require calculus as all or part of the math pre-req.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know of a single medical school that requires calc based physics. Harvard might, as the guy said above. There's under two dozen med schools that require one semester of calculus.

I don't know of a single medical school that requires calc based physics. Harvard might, as the guy said above. There's under two dozen med schools that require one semester of calculus.
Since I was looking at postbacc programs, most have said that a calc based physics is required so I assumed that was for medical school as well

Since I was looking at postbacc programs, most have said that a calc based physics is required so I assumed that was for medical school as well
Definitely not. Very few schools actually require calc, and I am not aware of any that specify calc-based as opposed to trig/algebra based physics.

Definitely not. Very few schools actually require calc, and I am not aware of any that specify calc-based as opposed to trig/algebra based physics.
Oh ok well now I'm relieved. Thank you :)

Not even Harvard requires calc-based physics (at least for New Pathway). Harvard HST probably does but that's completely separate.

There's no reason to take calc-based physics as a premed who struggles with math. None. The bigger concern would be the schools who still list calc itself as a requirement.

I've taken precalculus 3 times already (in cc and university) and now I can't take it again since that's the limit. Since I can't retake it I was wondering what else can I do since I need to take calculus in order to take physics.

Some schools only require trig or even just algebra for Calc.I took Calc with only algebra under my belt. Just look at what the school's prereqs for each class are.