Math-probability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

joonkimdds

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are 3 blue, 4 green, 5 red balls. What is the probability of drawing a blue, a green and a red ball without replacement?

I thought answer should be 1/22 becuz
3/12 x 4/11 x 5/10 = 1/22 but that's not it.
The solution says I should multiply it by 6 but i don't know why.

Here is a similar question

Superwoman has 3 blue balloons, 4 green balloons and 5 red balloons. How many possible 3 balloon bouquets can she make?

Again, i thought it should be 1/22 but no.
This is actually different from previous one.
The previous one multiplied by 6, but this time we divide by 6


Basically I wanna know
when I should multiply and when I need to divide.
and also, when I don't have to do any of those two and just leave the answer 1/22.
 
There are 3 blue, 4 green, 5 red balls. What is the probability of drawing a blue, a green and a red ball without replacement?

I thought answer should be 1/22 becuz
3/12 x 4/11 x 5/10 = 1/22 but that's not it.
The solution says I should multiply it by 6 but i don't know why.

Here is a similar question

Superwoman has 3 blue balloons, 4 green balloons and 5 red balloons. How many possible 3 balloon bouquets can she make?

Again, i thought it should be 1/22 but no.
This is actually different from previous one.
The previous one multiplied by 6, but this time we divide by 6


Basically I wanna know
when I should multiply and when I need to divide.
and also, when I don't have to do any of those two and just leave the answer 1/22.
the first problem. you should find the pr of 3 balls from 12. it's 3C12. then find the pr of 1blue = 1C3, 1 green = 1C4, 1 red= 1C5

then (1blue * 1 red * 1 green)/ pro of 3C12 = 3/11
 
There are 3 blue, 4 green, 5 red balls. What is the probability of drawing a blue, a green and a red ball without replacement?

I thought answer should be 1/22 becuz
3/12 x 4/11 x 5/10 = 1/22 but that's not it.
The solution says I should multiply it by 6 but i don't know why.

Here is a similar question

Superwoman has 3 blue balloons, 4 green balloons and 5 red balloons. How many possible 3 balloon bouquets can she make?

Again, i thought it should be 1/22 but no.
This is actually different from previous one.
The previous one multiplied by 6, but this time we divide by 6


Basically I wanna know
when I should multiply and when I need to divide.
and also, when I don't have to do any of those two and just leave the answer 1/22.
for the second problem. I assume that the all the red ball are identical, all the green balls are identical and the same with blue. so the problem ask how many ways to pick 3 ball from 3 different colors. pr= 3C3+3-1 = 3C5 = 10.

but if the balls are different, then pr= 3P12.

In my opinion, I think all red balls are identical, same with green and blue.

Does anyone know when to assume this?
 
There are 3 blue, 4 green, 5 red balls. What is the probability of drawing a blue, a green and a red ball without replacement?

I thought answer should be 1/22 becuz
3/12 x 4/11 x 5/10 = 1/22 but that's not it.
The solution says I should multiply it by 6 but i don't know why.


Want/Possible

3blue/12 x 4green/12 x 5red/12 = 60/1720



Here is a similar question

Superwoman has 3 blue balloons, 4 green balloons and 5 red balloons. How many possible 3 balloon bouquets can she make?

Again, i thought it should be 1/22 but no.
This is actually different from previous one.
The previous one multiplied by 6, but this time we divide by 6



n = 3!
3x2x1 = 6

Basically I wanna know
when I should multiply and when I need to divide.
and also, when I don't have to do any of those two and just leave the answer 1/22.
...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are 3 blue, 4 green, 5 red balls. What is the probability of drawing a blue, a green and a red ball without replacement?

I thought answer should be 1/22 becuz
3/12 x 4/11 x 5/10 = 1/22 but that's not it.
The solution says I should multiply it by 6 but i don't know why.

Here is a similar question

Superwoman has 3 blue balloons, 4 green balloons and 5 red balloons. How many possible 3 balloon bouquets can she make?

Again, i thought it should be 1/22 but no.
This is actually different from previous one.
The previous one multiplied by 6, but this time we divide by 6


Basically I wanna know
when I should multiply and when I need to divide.
and also, when I don't have to do any of those two and just leave the answer 1/22.

hello. so ehre goes my explanations:

1) you are right on the 3/12 x 4/11 ... = 1/22 part
but you forgot to times this by the number of ways that these balls can be chosen, ie. you can choose one red-blue-green, blue-red-green... etc

so, you have to times 1/22 by 3P3 to account for the different ways of choosing the balls

2) This question has nothing to do with probability, so you shouldn't even have a fraction as an answer.

My answer would be 12C3, since order here would not matter (ie. blue-green-red is same as blue-red-green) --> but this question is very unclear imo

hope this helps