math problem

Started by NguyenDDS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NguyenDDS

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Problem: The endpoints of a side of a square are located at (0,7) and (5, 0). Find the area of the square.

Answer: Destroyer says the answer is 74. But I think they are wrong. Wouldn't it be 37 (which isn't even an answer option)? Why is it 74?
 
Problem: The endpoints of a side of a square are located at (0,7) and (5, 0). Find the area of the square.

Answer: Destroyer says the answer is 74. But I think they are wrong. Wouldn't it be 37 (which isn't even an answer option)? Why is it 74?

I am getting 74 as the correct answer, I used the distance formula to get square root of 74 as the side length (SquareRoot(5^2+7^2), thus the area of a square = s^2 or (square root of 74)^2 is 74. Hope you revisit this post.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Problem: The endpoints of a side of a square are located at (0,7) and (5, 0). Find the area of the square.

Answer: Destroyer says the answer is 74. But I think they are wrong. Wouldn't it be 37 (which isn't even an answer option)? Why is it 74?

I think 74 is correct....

70cbwp.jpg
 
I am getting 74 as the correct answer, I used the distance formula to get square root of 74 as the side length (SquareRoot(5^2+7^2), thus the area of a square = s^2 or (square root of 74)^2 is 74. Hope you revisit this post.

My bad, you're right.

Sorry I assumed that (0,7) and (5,0) was the diagonal for some reason.

Root 74 is one of the sides and not the diagonal. >.>