Math Questions... (Probablitity)

Started by frogger33
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

frogger33

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys.. There are two probablity questions that I cannot figure out. Can someone PLEASE help!! Thanks guys. I am really starting to stress since I am retaking the DAT at the end of the month and I have not even started anything but math yet....

1. What is the probability of getting 6 tails out of nine tosses of a fair coin??

a) 21/128
b) 21/64
c) 84/128
d) 22/64
e) 42/64

The correct choice is A

2. What are your chances of rolling a seven with 2 dice in one toss?

a) 1/6
b) 1/3
c) 1/36
d) 3/36
e) 1/2

The correct choice is A
 
frogger33 said:
Hey guys.. There are two probablity questions that I cannot figure out. Can someone PLEASE help!! Thanks guys. I am really starting to stress since I am retaking the DAT at the end of the month and I have not even started anything but math yet....

1. What is the probability of getting 6 tails out of nine tosses of a fair coin??

a) 21/128
b) 21/64
c) 84/128
d) 22/64
e) 42/64

The correct choice is A

2. What are your chances of rolling a seven with 2 dice in one toss?

a) 1/6
b) 1/3
c) 1/36
d) 3/36
e) 1/2

The correct choice is A
I can explain the second one... THere are a total of 6 sides on each dice so a total of 36 combinations. One can get 6 combinations of 7 on the dice ... 6,1 :2,5:3,4:4,3 :5,2 :6,1 .. so 6/36 =1/6
 
frogger33 said:
Hey guys.. There are two probablity questions that I cannot figure out. Can someone PLEASE help!! Thanks guys. I am really starting to stress since I am retaking the DAT at the end of the month and I have not even started anything but math yet....

1. What is the probability of getting 6 tails out of nine tosses of a fair coin??

a) 21/128
b) 21/64
c) 84/128
d) 22/64
e) 42/64

The correct choice is A

Use formula prob = desired outcomes/total outcomes

Total outcomes: for each toss, there are two outcomes. Therefore, for 9 tosses, there are 2*2...*2 (9 times) = 2^9

Desired outcomes: This is a little bit tricky. Number of desired outcomes is equal to the combination of 9 and 6, which is

9!/[6!*(9-6)!] = 9!/(6!*3!) = 6!*7*8*9/(6!*3!) = 7*8*9/(2*3) = 7*4*3

Therefore, prob = 7*4*3/(2^9) = 21/(2^7) = 21/128
 
Thanks guys! That helped! I really dont know where I would be without you guys! i will probably be back with more questions soon... 🙂