Matriculate G'town, UVa, GW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Julie5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been accepted and am deciding between Georgetown, UVa, and GW. I'm not a VA resident by the way. If anyone is familiar with any of these programs, I'd be more than grateful for your thoughts. Thanks a bunch!!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

UVa, its by far the best of those three schools. Locationwise, the other two are better of course. Charlottesville is straight up boonies!

I'd pick UVa in a heartbeat.

UVA is the best choice w/out a doubt... can't you establish residency by yr 2? My boss went there and loved Va. Great sense of tradition, community etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
UVA is the best school of this lot. However, if being in a big city is important to you, don't discount GU or GWU. DC >>>>>>>>> Charlottesville.

Originally posted by BoulderLABrat
UVA is the best choice w/out a doubt... can't you establish residency by yr 2? My boss went there and loved Va. Great sense of tradition, community etc.

UVa is the best of the 3. However, u can't establish residency but they give some great need based aid if you qualify for it.

I picked UVa out of the schools that have or will accept me. I loved Charlottesville. I would much rather live there than DC, but I am they type that would take trees over skyscrapers anyday.

Dude, UVA is the place to be. If I got in there out of state, I'd be going crazy. Congratulations on all those great schools, and make the choice on the place you'll be happiest.

I'm interviewing at UVA this week. Do you think I have a decent shot being an out of stater and interviewing this late in the game?

Wow, I would take UVA in a second. I was extremely impressed with UVA when I interviewed there. But if you decide to go elsewhere I won't mind cause maybe they will give me your spot and I can get off the waitlist. I thought Charlottesville was awesome, but to each his own.

hmmm....first I'd wait and see what the financial aid packages look like. If there is a significant $$ difference, I'd go to the school that is cheapest. But if the money is similar as is likely, I'd probably go to UVA.

COngrats on getting into UVA out of state.

Is this really a tough decision? UVa will most likely be cheaper, even out-of-state. And, more importantly, iti s a vastly better school. Nobody mentions GW or Georgetown in the same breath as top-tier schools (come on, Georgetown?!?), but UVa is up there and it is only getting better, from what I hear. IT gets serious respect from big name residencies. And, to boot, C-ville is soooo much cooler than D.C. Do you really want to be surrounded by pretentious bureaucrats or hot undergrads/a cool college town with a down-to-earth social scene?

Originally posted by Benjo
And, to boot, C-ville is soooo much cooler than D.C. Do you really want to be surrounded by pretentious bureaucrats or hot undergrads/a cool college town with a down-to-earth social scene?

Let's not get carried away here. If you want details, PM me. I've already sounded off about this way too much.

I am a bit biased, but I'd say UVA all the way. The school is a public top 30 medical school. The undergrad is the #1 public university (tied with Berkley(sp?)), they have a top ten law program, and several other high ranking grad programs. While the high ranked non-med programs may seem unimportant, I think it establishes the caliber of student that you are going to be able to find in town and associate with during your four years of med school. A lot of people seem to like DC, but having lived in NOVA for a few years, I never want to go back to the traffic and the overly congested area. UVA has a good music scene, and Richmond and DC are both under 3 hours away, so there is plenty to do.

Anyway...I don't think you can go wrong choosing a med school. Just pick the one you are happiest with.

~AS1~