Matriculation Confusion - Nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM94

Reaction score
I applied to 6 schools- all start next fall. One in january. I was accepted into the program that starts in January but I’ll be deployed and will have to defer a year. Admissions there knows this. They spoke with me about it before I applied. I was and still am unsure about how this will affect my other applications. I emailed their admissions committee as well as another school for guidance. I also asked the January school when the deposit was due. They responded December. Great I thought! More time to figure out if this is where I want to be and if it will void my other applications. **5:30pm 5 days after my interview I receive an email saying they misspoke- my $1,500 deposit is due on day five following my inteview** ‍♀️ I panic paid the deposit... because I realized it was day five and my understanding was as long as you don’t attend class you have not matriculated and you can pay to hold your spot. However, I was waiting on clarification to confirm that payment would not affect my other applications. Other forums I have read imply deferment means my other applications are void- as in if I don’t say no to the January school before January then I will no longer be in the running... Most of the other DPT programs I applied to won’t give admission decisions until January-April. Do you think it’s justifiable for me to ask for my deposit back- at least until I have a straight answer considering the lack of accurate information? I don’t know what to do. I panicked and paid the $1,500 for fear of not getting accepted anywhere under the understanding it’s good to have a back up- however the drastic shift from “you have two months” to “you have to pay right now” did NOT help me gain the vital information I needed (and attempted to get from the program) to make an informed choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most deposits I’ve seen are non-refundable but will get applied to your first semester’s tuition there. Check their PTCAS page and their website to see if it does mention if it’s refundable or not.

I believe paying this deposit doesn’t void your other applications. BUT other programs can see that you’ve received an acceptance and that you’ve already put down a deposit for a school.

Reactions: 1 user
Paying deposit does not void your other applications, but you will not be able to get the deposit back unless you workout something unique with the school in question.