Max. # of LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JZZZZZZZs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if most schools frown upon getting more than the required number of LORs? I know certain schools specify that they do not welcome more than the required number but then other schools don't publish their policies. Would I piss them off if I sent more than what they want? I just think it would be hard for ADCOMS to base their decision on 2 science letters only and not letters from work managers, research or volunteer activities.
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

It's quite common to send additional LORs. Some schools even give you space to list the extra ones you'll be sending on the secondary. I wouldn't send more than 3 or 4 additional max. Last year I only sent 1 extra, and it worked out fine.

i dunno what a good number is--my school's letter service says around 4-6...caps at 6 but i ended up with 7...i dunno how that's going to fair...definitely send the specific letters each school is asking for--like 2 science and 1 non-science faculty, then the rest is up to you! i think 6-7 is the limit though...

Members don't see this ad :)
So it's at my discretion, huh? Well, I guess I'll just send off my whole packet (6 Letters) to all the schools that don't "discourage" (Tulane, for sure) additional LORs, "welcome" (Emory) them or have no comments regarding them. :D

By the way, thanks to athena21 and SMW for your replies. SMW, it seems like you're always around when I have a question. :) A big thanks for all your help...and stay tuned...I'm sure I have more of them to come.

Our career services always says 4 is a good limit. I'm not really sure why...

-RA

Originally posted by JZZZZZZZs
By the way, thanks to athena21 and SMW for your replies. SMW, it seems like you're always around when I have a question. :) A big thanks for all your help...and stay tuned...I'm sure I have more of them to come.

You're welcome! :)

My pre-med committee sent out 9 letters of recommendation with their composite letter.
The big list:
3 people I did research with
2 Biology professors
2 former bosses (computer industry)
1 English professor (non-science)
1 volunteer coordinator
and a partridge in a pear tree.......... :laugh:

Haven't heard any complaints from any schools so far, 4 interviews. My list is beefed up a bit by the MSTP requirement (usually 3 research letters) though.

I think pre-med committees can do whatever they want. The question is more addressed to the proper number to send out for applicants who are not using a pre-med committee.

i think some schools are pretty strict: i would call each school, it's not as hard as it seems.

As a reapplicant, I had my original five from last year (2 science, 2 non-science, 1 research) along with 2 new recs for this year (1 research, 1 volunteer group). This may be too many. How many recs are other reapplicants sending?

like neuronix - i sent in a bunch - 8 including premed committee stuff. granted this was for mstop, but in many cases i sent the same set to medical schools, and a few don't seem to mind (don't know about the others yet).

-jot