maximum physical therapy salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaige333

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, is it usually the case that PT's salary maxes out at 100K? Kinda struggling to figure out if I should pay a 200k tuition now to go to medical school, where there seems to be more potential for higher pay, but longer process, more stressful profession (is this true for all specialties?) or pay 100k for a DPT.

Thank you very much in advance for all inputs and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should choose a profession based on how much it interests you and whether you want to do it for the rest of your life, not whether it pays more. Like you said, medical school is longer and more stressful, but yes, your salary would be higher. If you would rather be a doctor than a PT, then do it. But your profession should be your passion for the job, not money.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're smart about your money, you should be able to get out with less then 100k. I've done the rough numbers, and after I finish my undergrad and grad school, it'll be about 70K. Assuming I start out with 55k (my school states that most in my state start out at 60k) then I could pay off the debt within 5 years, if I live moderately

Doctors and Physical therapist do different jobs. Choose a career based on what you will enjoy most.

If you're smart about your money, you should be able to get out with less then 100k. I've done the rough numbers, and after I finish my undergrad and grad school, it'll be about 70K. Assuming I start out with 55k (my school states that most in my state start out at 60k) then I could pay off the debt within 5 years, if I live moderately

Doctors and Physical therapist do different jobs. Choose a career based on what you will enjoy most.

My uncle is a physical therapist and made ~350k a year as director of a clinic about 5 years out of PT school. He now makes somewhere near 3.5mill a year. Guarantee he wouldn't have made near that much if he didn't truly enjoy his work. All the posters above are correct...heed their advice.

My uncle is a physical therapist and made ~350k a year as director of a clinic about 5 years out of PT school. He now makes somewhere near 3.5mill a year. Guarantee he wouldn't have made near that much if he didn't truly enjoy his work. All the posters above are correct...heed their advice.

damn. sign me up.

but in all seriousness, it shouldn't be about the money. Yes, money is important, because it's what allows us to eat, pay rent, etc., but there's so much more that's also important when choosing a career. If you're making 7 figures, or even 6 figures, per year but hate what you're doing, working 80+ hour weeks and are exhausted and never have time to enjoy life, is it worth it?

he makes 3.5mill a year doing what exactly?

he makes 3.5mill a year doing what exactly?

He has various sources of income...99% of them tied to physical therapy. He owns several clinics, consults and is part owner of a wellness center, and is on a speaking circuit.

Thanks for all the replies. I hope I didn't come off like all I care is money, I was simply trying to get an idea of how much PTs can expect to make in "real life" (as opposed to numbers on the internet), only trying to make a sound decision for my future. After all, a PT education nowadays costs 100k, it's always been a hard choice for me to pick between 100K tuition, a shorter process, more relaxed lifestyle, but limited growth potential and the medical school's 200K tuition, longer process, more high strung work, but higher growth potential in terms of return. If anyone has more stories to share, please keep them coming =]

I've pretty much decided that PT will not be my sole career, which I'm okay with because I'm too ADD to only do one thing anyway.

If money is an issue, which for most of us it will inevitably be, think of other things you can do to supplement if necessary...if you get a personal training or pilates certification and work at an orthopedic clinic, maybe you can start classes or training on the side. I know a PT who still teaches dance classes at night, partially for the money, but also because she loves it and doesn't want to give it up. I know another PT that pitched in college for a division I school and now does private pitching coaching on weekends.

Hopefully you can find a hobby/passion of yours that you can turn into a money maker if necessary.

i would encourage anyone considering PT to read the latest MedPac report on post acute services. just google it.

while medicare payment isnt the end all be all for those interested in rehab it is the golden goose at the moment, and corporate PT is slaughtering it and just like the BBA in ?96 - 98? the profession is gonna have to suffer to get the scumbags to move on.

the Outpatient setting with the big and getting bigger copays from private insurance and the medicare caps and competition from everyone from osteos to massage therapists is likely where its at. be good in business and networking and its all good.

as one of the last bachelors degreed PTs i thank god everyday that the PT profession went to the DPT vision and erected monumental barriers to entry to this profession. id have bailed a long time ago but the monies been easy for the past 10 years due to shortages that should not exist in a normal world.

Yes, I know avg salary and max salary are not the same thing. I'm not an idiot. I was just trying to give some basic information and trying to be helpful. I won't be coming back to this thread.