may be looking to scramble to FP in florida...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pafbdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know of a good program that doesnt normally fill in southeast.. preferrably FL, GA, or even texas?

I'm looking for good training in an area that a young single guy can have a good time in....

thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

I know the programs in Jacksonville, FL. St. Vincents might not fill, as they have 10 slots. Comm hospital, unapposed, great location - close to historic downtown. They recently moved into a new family practice center. I've heard the residents get treated well, including 4 weeks off and days off for CME in first year. I would approach them before match day if you're really concerned with not placing. If St. V doesn't fill it's probably because of it's low profile, not because it's a poor program - in fact, I've heard nothing but good things.

The other Jacksonville program that might not fill is UF at Shands, which is a public hospital. They only give 3 weeks off, no CME, and require a reseach project. I would take St. V given a choice.

Best thing to do is use the listings on scutwork.com to see which progs didn't fill the last couple of years. Again, I would call the programs up now and explain your situation.

Baytown near Houston is another underated program - location is not the greatest, but I've heard that residents are treated very well, and housing is very affordable - probably because you're pretty much living next to an oil refinery.