May not be ready for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torkulguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm taking the DAT next week. I'm confident that I'm ready to take the DAT; however, this post is for my study partner. We have been working away at the Total Sciences and have it down pretty well; however, it seems that we've been neglecting math and reading. Personally, math and reading seem pretty simple to me and I do well enough for it to not compromise my score; however, today, my partner took a DAT Qvault quiz and bombed the hell out of it (About a 15). I don't know how to help him. I don't know how it's possible to have forgotten so much basic math and have no idea where to start.

What should I do? Should I suggest rescheduling? I mean, there's only so much math that the QR tests you on. How much time does he actually need to study? Any recommended materials for someone who forgot almost all of basic geometry?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like Chad would have QR videos, but I am not sure since math also came easily to me.. I just used math destroyer and it was more than enough for me. But for him, math destroyer might be a little too hard

The thing that upsets me is that we did a few destroyer tests just fine. It frustrates me because I show him a concept and he'll have it down and then I have him repeat it a few times and he'll do it just fine. Now it's two weeks later and he doesn't even remember unit circle and is completely stumped when asked to do trigonometric identities. I'm thinking of just showing him khan academy stuff.

The thing that upsets me is that we did a few destroyer tests just fine. It frustrates me because I show him a concept and he'll have it down and then I have him repeat it a few times and he'll do it just fine. Now it's two weeks later and he doesn't even remember unit circle and is completely stumped when asked to do trigonometric identities. I'm thinking of just showing him khan academy stuff.
Khan academy might be good too. But yeah, seems to me like you're doing a lot of work for him. He will have to find a way to make QR/math work for him, whether you help him or not. I think you're being a good friend by helping him. Maybe you should talk to him about his habit of forgetting information in a few weeks. Also, discuss his study habits when you guys aren't together working on problems (ie. he should be reviewing and going over stuff himself too).

I'll bring it up. Thank you. I think I'll tell him not to worry about it too much. It seems to me that if you excel in the sciences and reading and do okay with the PAT you'll get interviews. In the mean time, I guess I'll suggest emphasizing more Reading comprehension and capitalizing on what he's got going for him which is Ochem and Gen chem.

Reactions: 1 user