Maybe bombed a final...2.3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paulz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Freshman here, I may have bombed my Gen Bio final.:thumbdown: When I mean bombed, I mean I felt confident of about 1/3 of it and am pretty sure I got at least a 40, if I got some good choiced maybe a 50. The final was like 30% of the grade. I am expected a 20 or so point curve(all the other exams have had huge curves). I calculated what I needed for grades, a 70 on the final would give me about a 2.3, about a 80 a 2.7, and >85 a 3.0. I am not sure his exact grading all I know is a 75% is a 2.0 and 85% is a 3.0.

I don't know I might just be overeacting, maybe I did better than I think, maybe he'll curve it by 30, I am optimistic.

But if I get a 2.3 in Gen Bio should I retake it regardless? Have any of you all ever bombed an important final?

Members don't see this ad.

Should you retake it? I don't think so. It is a low level class, and you are a freshman, so you'll have plenty of time to redeem yourself with more advanced courses. The question you have to ask yourself is why you did so poorly and can you fix the problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should you retake it? I don't think so. It is a low level class, and you are a freshman, so you'll have plenty of time to redeem yourself with more advanced courses. The question you have to ask yourself is why you did so poorly and can you fix the problem.

Honestly, I have no idea why i did poorly. I think it was a mix of me(my first term of science courses(I did Gen Bio, Intro to Anatomy, and Calc)), the teacher(was a cool guy, but on the two exams the average was around 50 and needed to be curved), lack of effort in the beginning(I put about 3 hours into math and 1 into bio for the first two months of the semester), and the grading policy(I'll probably end with around 75-80% which is typically a 2.7-3.0, a 75 in this class is barley a 2.0).

So I don't know, in the fall I am taking 2 upper division classes, so I think that will be a better determiner of if I can do what I need to than now.

The good news is that all the effort I put in with calc in the beginning is probably going to pay off since I was praying for a 2.0 at the beginning of the semester now going into the final I am actually aiming for a 3.0.

my GPA right now is a 3.8, but my gen chem I grade and gen chem II grade are both B-. i sometimes worry if that will really impact getting into school, but then i remember that i have taken many upper level classes and have done really well (all my biotechnology classes, anatomy, physiology, etc) and so can you! i have yet to take orgo and physics (start this fall) so im hoping that i do really well in those! definitely make it a priority to do well in the upcoming classes, and i think you will be ok.

Why don't you atleast wait until you figure out your grade in the course before you start thinking about all the different options...

Just wait for the results. Maybe you are projecting that you did bad and you might have done better than you think you did....

Just wait for the results. Maybe you are projecting that you did bad and you might have done better than you think you did....

I hope. I spoke to a few people and they were like it wasn't that bad. I(who probably studied a whole lot more than those people) felt it was ridiculously hard. Really weird....

I hope. I spoke to a few people and they were like it wasn't that bad. I(who probably studied a whole lot more than those people) felt it was ridiculously hard. Really weird....

it's really better not to stress over these things until you know your grade.

try to enjoy these few days you don't have to study. You can plan just as well after once you have all the information, worrying now won't make any difference.

Freshman here, I may have bombed my Gen Bio final.:thumbdown: When I mean bombed, I mean I felt confident of about 1/3 of it and am pretty sure I got at least a 40, if I got some good choiced maybe a 50. The final was like 30% of the grade. I am expected a 20 or so point curve(all the other exams have had huge curves). I calculated what I needed for grades, a 70 on the final would give me about a 2.3, about a 80 a 2.7, and >85 a 3.0. I am not sure his exact grading all I know is a 75% is a 2.0 and 85% is a 3.0.

I don't know I might just be overeacting, maybe I did better than I think, maybe he'll curve it by 30, I am optimistic.

But if I get a 2.3 in Gen Bio should I retake it regardless? Have any of you all ever bombed an important final?

gen bio blows