Mayo Clinic PREP Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angel4603

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So I just got into the Mayo Clinic PREP Postbac. I have also applied to the NIH IRTA program, and a similar post-bacs at Mt. Sinai and other institutions. I also have an interview for the Mt. Sinai post bac in a week. I am trying to discern if I can really live in Rochester, MN after coming from a very large city. Can anyone who may have participated in this post bac give me some insight into their experience, especially about living in Rochester, Minnesota? Or if anyone could give me some insight into the Mt. Sinai PREP research post-bac, that would be great, too. Oh yeah, I am pre-MD/PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wasnt aware that Mayo had a postbac program. Anyway, I can understand your concern about life in Rochester, MN, but here are a couple of things to consider.

1) Assuming you are doing a postbac to demonstrate your aptitude, it might be a good idea to do so in a location with the fewest distractions. One year devoted to your studies in the effort of forging a promising career in medicine isnt such a terrible sacrifice.

2) Are you interested in Mayo Med? Often people choose Post bacs or SMPs at institutions where they would later like to study medicine, or at the very least, in a region of the country they would like to attend medical school.