Mayo Clinic (Rochester)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Cash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok folks, time for input on this program. Who has friends who are residents there, anyone know anything about this program. Perhaps you've done a sub-I there..... any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Members don't see this ad.

I've posted this info before, to a flurry of indignation, yet I'll offer up what I have heard.

Some of our anesthesia personnel would regularly moonlight at Mayo. They came back with talk about how the residents had very little autonomy in the OR - that often the attendings would direct and perform the majority of the case, even when scrubbed with Chiefs. Also, because of the prevalence of so many Fellows, the bigger cases never went to the residents to begin with (this is a common lament of Univerisity programs).

They also noted that the simpler cases - lap choles, Nissens, so forth - would take multitudes of time longer to do than what we were used to.

On the other hand, in meeting and talking to the residents there, they seem to be a very bright, contented bunch. Their own assessment was that they were receiving ample OR exposure and autonomy. Their ABSITE scores averaged in the top 10 percent, so clearly the didactics there are very good.

The general consensus (right or wrong) is that the Mayo Clinic is a better place to be a fellow then a resident for some of the reasons womansurg outlies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Folks,
I did an AI in Endocrine Surgery at Mayo in Rochester in the dead of winter. Needless to say, when that cold wind hits you in the face, your tears freeze. There is something a little unsavory about spending lots of time snaking through underground tunnels to get between buildings.

The teaching at Mayo is outstanding. When I was there, they had a system where a resident was assigned to one attending's service. You were on call 24hrs/7days but you were only covering your patients. You were totally immersed in each attendings style. It was a pretty nice system because you worked the patient up in clinic and then did the surgery.

The attendings were great to work with. They hold teaching sacred and you get the full picture. Even teaching conference and M & M were pretty benign compared to other places. There was also a conference called "Chief's Conference", where the chief of each division would post all ofhis weekly cases and defend why a certain procedure was used. The thinking behind the surgical procedure was a great learning experience. There would be questions for medical students, junior residents and senior residents. Each attending has his own set of ORs which are used either M,W,F of one week and T, Th of the next week.

The autonomy for the chiefs is about the same as here. The chiefs will start a case and the attendings or fellows will scrub in at some point. It is probably much better to be a fellow than to be a chief resident but again, the teaching is off the scale. The facilites are totally nice and the attendings were all good mentors and very interested in the professional development of the residents.

The residents were a fairly diverse bunch who seemed to really enjoy working with each other. The nursing staff is impressive and the hospital is very well equipped and maintained. Yes, you do wear business attire for rounds unless you are headed for the OR (scrubs with lab coat). There is a minimum of scut work for residents at Mayo. Your discharge summaries are written the day the patient is admitted and done by a physician extender. You don't waste your time at Mayo. There is an excellent computer system for orders too.

I totally enjoyed my Mayo experience. Even the weather gave a short break. :) Rochester is a very small town with an airport for all of the private jets that their very famous patients fly in on. If you are able to get an AI, stay at the Kahler Hotel that is located across the street from the Gonda Building. The room rate is very cheap for visiting medical students. This hotel is older but central to almost everything that you will need. Great medical library too!

njbmd

In my experience, the Mayo "myths" are just that--myths. As a junior resident, I would argue that we get more surgical experience earlier in our training than any other program. I am constantly amazed at the autonomy that we are granted and the level of responsibility imparted. In our department (neurosurgery), we do not have fellows. In our department, you operate as much as you wish up to your "comfort" level. I am from the South and I personally love the town as well as the weather. I do, however, understand how some might not. I believe that Mayo provides the best training environment in the country, the greatest operative experience, and the widest spectrum of cases. By the way, I have never worn a suit to work. I will be happy to field questions.