Mayo Email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitzkrieg

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get the Mayo email requesting money? I'm guessing that this doesnt mean I get a secondary (phone interview), but I'm not sure.

Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

i would guess that it would mean you get a phone interview. it doesn't seem right to charge you otherwise.

I'm with lola. Why would they ask for money if you aren't getting a secondary (phone interview)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same email today. I don't think this is the secondary. this is just money they want to "START processing your application." I think I'll just have to send in the secondary since it is one of my dream schools....but I don't consider this to be a secondary. I am not that lucky to get one from Mayo *that* soon. :(

Tweetie

oh... hmmm... well, it looks like they want the fee and haven't looked at your app yet.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
I got the same email today. I don't think this is the secondary. this is just money they want to "START processing your application." I think I'll just have to send in the secondary since it is one of my dream schools....but I don't consider this to be a secondary. I am not that lucky to get one from Mayo *that* soon. :(

Tweetie

hmm,

well, the 2ndary is quite hard to get, I've heard. Mayo's 2ndary is a phone interview, by all accounts...

What other schools screen? I know that Stanford does, and that the FL st schools do, but they have lax screening for in-state applicants.

It seems that everyone is sending back secondaries automatically..making them pretty much a common thing..that sux :-/

THE FACTS: Getting that e-mail from Mayo means absolutely nothing except that they know you are applying. Mayo does not really have a "secondary" as we like to think of them. After reading their website, e-mail, and the msar... this is how I believe it works...

1. They ask ~everyone~ for a check for the application fee.

2. They may or may not call you for a phone interview... if you don't get called that doesn't mean you're rejected. If you do get called, that doesn't mean you've made any cuts.

3. They invite 15% (yes, only 15%) of applicants to submit recs. So DON'T SEND YOUR RECS UNTIL THEY ASK YOU TO!

4. Of that 15% they invite some for in-person inverviews... and the rest follows like any normal medical school.

Mayo just does things really wierd for some reason.

Good luck everyone :)

I am sorry to disappoint you but Mayo asks for money from everyone. The sixty dollars they ask for is basically money that you must give them in order for them to review your amcas app. Once you pay, they will begin to review your amcas app and letters of rec. If they like your amcas app, they may decide to offer you a preliminary interview via telephone. The best of those that are interviewed by phone are invited to the campus to interview with the committee. If this goes well, you are accepted. Since they only accept 40 people into the program (34 MD, 2 MD/phD, and 4 oral/maxilofacial surgery), it is extremely difficult to pass all the stages. I wish all you guys the best of luck.

Don't forget that they only ask for recs from 15% of the applicants... that's a big deal I think. If you send in your recs without an invitation, I'm guessing that that's going to look bad...

Racergirl didn't get into mayo, she got into MN.

as far as that money goes, it's just a donation for most people. They will then decide whether to offer than phone interview after cashing your check. bastards..aren't they?!

At least it's only $60 and not $100 like some other schools...

in the words of Relatively_Prime, "Well, if Tweetie got a
secondary, then they must not be screening." :laugh: :laugh:

Atleast I'll be able to say someday that I donated my precious money to Mayo. LOL

Correct. It is a blanket $60 for everybody to apply to Mayo. Then, they'll pick about 30 percent to do a phone interview which is really their secondary. Think of the phone interview as an on-the-spot secondary. There is no time to sit down and write, and re-write your answer to the questions. You just have one shot. The questions can be a bit strange. Some are just yes/no. Then depending on how you answer you might be asked for more detail. There is absolutely no feedback during the interview. There is no clarification of the questions (and some of them will throw you a bit). They will re-read questions if needed.

From those that interview by phone, they'll pick about 30 percent to invite for an in-person interview in Rochester. Typically about 30 percent of those interviewed in-person will be accepted. There is no waitlist. After the in-person interview, each person is ranked. They then accept the top few ranked scores once each month. Some people are accepted a couple of weeks after the interview. Others several months after. They do not accept updates (more letters, etc.) after the interview. The on-site interview is two separate ~45 minute interviews. One with a science/clinical faculty member. The other with either a resident or someone else not directly associated with the school.

I have heard (rumor, no confirmation) that the admissions committee that does the final ranking consists of a mix of science and clinical faculty, administration, and even a member from the community not associated with the medical school or the Mayo Clinic.