Mayo (MN) vs Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halobi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been blessed to be given this option. I like both schools but I must decide within a week. Honestly, I’m leaning towards Columbia but I’m interested in some opinions, particularly from students from either school. Mayo is so unique that I believe no matter where else you get in it should be considered if it’s an option. Another huge factor will be cost. If my financial aid at Columbia falls through it could be $360k vs $180k for Mayo. Mayo would be 50% the cost – if this happens would Columbia be worth it?

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons

Pros:
  • Its NYC. More diverse populations, more to do etc. I’m a city person.
  • Dual MBA at Columbia in a year if I want to do this
  • Class size is larger (~165), I am worried that Mayo may be too small at ~48
  • Arguably more prestigious (ranked ~6) which may help as I plan to work in academic centers
  • Classes are recorded and non-mandatory. I am an independent learner and like the flexibility of not having to go to class if I don’t want to
  • The P&S Club and general student vibe. Students seemed relaxed and are involved in a lot of things outside of medicine. I have a lot of other interests and think I would fit in here.
Cons:

• Though I am still waiting on financial aid I expect it will be more expensive than Mayo with higher COL and tuition. This is of course speculative. If no aid is given I could be looking at a total cost of $360k. I’m hoping total cost does not exceed $250k.
  • Larger class size could mean less focus per student. Mayo does seem to care a lot about each individual student

Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (MN):

Pros:

• Given tuition scholarship + potential for more when re-evaluated next year as parental income was elevated for filed year. Even if aid stays the same my total cost is $180k.
  • Selectives give immense flexibility for multiple weeks per year
  • Rotations across Arizona and Florida to change up location and see different patient populations
  • Opportunity to do MBA at ASU for free in one year or do what most students do and get MBA at Harvard in two years, the top ranked business school
  • I am interested in a career in health systems design and innovating health delivery systems. Mayo Clinic is the world leader in this with multiple cutting edge centers and departments.
  • COL in Rochester is unbelievably inexpensive. I will have my own large place.
  • Philosophy. I believe Mayo chooses students based on fit with their own philosophy (true patient-centered care and service). This type of philosophy and atmosphere during training will define your career. The faculty and other students will all have this focus which I think is unique and a large positive.
  • Though the school is less prestigious than Columbia, Mayo is the #1 hospital in the States and likely the best hospital in the world.

Cons:

• Rochester is small. I would prefer a city (though it is close to the Twin Cities)
  • Rochester gets far colder than NYC
  • Mandatory lectures, dress code

Members don't see this ad.

Many if not most of my classmates chose Mayo over other top schools like Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford, Columbia, WUSTL, etc. I have yet to meet one person who is unhappy with their decision to come here. Mayo students are happy people. Most people seem to choose it over other schools based on overall fit (as I did).

If you're really leaning towards Columbia over Mayo because you think Mayo is less prestigious/won't give you as many opportunities in academic medicine then honestly I don't even know what to say and Mayo may not be the best fit for someone who thinks that.

As someone who came from the east coast and had mentors in academic medicine who went to Hopkins, Columbia and Cornell for med school (one was even a residency program director), I can tell you that when I was considering different med schools none of my mentors would ever describe Mayo as less prestigious. On the contrary even though they had trained at other institutions, they told me that getting my clinical training at Mayo would open many doors for me given that it's widely considered one of the best if not the best hospital in the world.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're really leaning towards Columbia over Mayo because you think Mayo is less prestigious/won't give you as many opportunities in academic medicine then honestly I don't even know what to say and Mayo may not be the best fit for someone who thinks that.

I am not leaning to Columbia over Mayo for this reason. You cherry-picked out one of my many pros for Columbia which I qualified with 'arguably' and ignored that I mentioned fit, philosophy and the fact that Mayo is the #1 hospital as some of my many pros for going to Mayo.

The biggest factors for me preferring Columbia are location, class size and the vibe I got from students (i.e. fit with other students) which completely parallels my hesitations for attending Mayo (location and class size). Mandatory lecture at Mayo is also a large downside for me because of how I learn. I don't believe my opportunities will be any worse if I go to Mayo and could even be superior as my career focus and values align with Mayo. Mayo's focus on healthcare innovation and changing systems is exactly the type of work I want to be doing. Right now I am thinking: if my opportunities are truly the same from both schools then I should go where I will be happier. However, I'm torn, which is why I'm asking for advice on which school to pick. I'm not sure the opportunities are the same and I'm not sure I will actually be happier in NYC with a larger class over living in Rochester. I think I 'fit' with different aspects of both schools and I'm having trouble figuring out which aspects are most important in making this decision (location, school philosophy, teaching style, opportunities).

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not leaning to Columbia over Mayo for this reason. You cherry-picked out one of my many pros for Columbia which I qualified with 'arguably' and ignored that I mentioned fit, philosophy and the fact that Mayo is the #1 hospital as some of my many pros for going to Mayo.

The biggest factors for me preferring Columbia are location, class size and the vibe I got from students (i.e. fit with other students) which completely parallels my hesitations for attending Mayo (location and class size). Mandatory lecture at Mayo is also a large downside for me because of how I learn. I don't believe my opportunities will be any worse if I go to Mayo and could even be superior as my career focus and values align with Mayo. Mayo's focus on healthcare innovation and changing systems is exactly the type of work I want to be doing. Right now I am thinking: if my opportunities are truly the same from both schools then I should go where I will be happier. However, I'm torn, which is why I'm asking for advice on which school to pick. I'm not sure the opportunities are the same and I'm not sure I will actually be happier in NYC with a larger class over living in Rochester. I think I 'fit' with different aspects of both schools and I'm having trouble figuring out which aspects are most important in making this decision (location, school philosophy, teaching style, opportunities).

Thank you for your input.

Thanks for clarifying. I apologize if I misinterpreted what you were saying regarding opportunities at each school, it's just that someone describing Mayo as less prestigious is really not something I've heard and would have to disagree with. Also don't think that Columbia being ranked 6 would help more for someone who wants to work in academic centers than going to Mayo would. Again as most people I've met at Mayo also got into schools like Columbia and didn't consider prestige differences at all in the decision - I'd argue that there is not a relevant difference in prestige between these schools.

They are drastically different schools when it comes to location and class size as you mentioned. I truly believe in going to the school where you think you'll be happier. If Columbia costs you $360k vs $180k for Mayo, but you really think you would be much happier at Columbia then the added cost may be worth it for you.

I know someone who went to Columbia, currently works at Mayo, and has said that living in NYC and going to Columbia were some of the best years. She has also disclosed that it was very expensive and she has a lot of debt, more than the average, but has also said that she has not had any trouble paying it back and living comfortably. Although it's not hard to live comfortably in Rochester given how affordable it is here, I got the impression that she does not regret going to Columbia at all even though it was quite expensive.

Mayo is an amazing place and I've never once regretted my decision to go to med school here/move to Rochester. Students here are also some of the happiest people you'll meet. Selectives are AMAZING, as is having funding to travel during selectives. One of my friends who was accepted to Mayo, Stanford, UCSF and Harvard chose by thinking about which school would be most upsetting to withdraw from. I think that's a useful method. If you do feel happier and more excited by the idea of going to Columbia though, then I'd go with your heart on this one.

One of my friends who was accepted to Mayo, Stanford, UCSF and Harvard chose by thinking about which school would be most upsetting to withdraw from. I think that's a useful method.

This is great advice. Thanks.

At this point I think my decision will be largely decided on whether or not Columbia offers me financial aid and the final difference in COA. I don't think my gain in happiness by attending Columbia, if there is any gain, would be worth $180k in added debt, especially as I can always move to a big city for residency or beyond.

Reactions: 3 users

At this point I think my decision will be largely decided on whether or not Columbia offers me financial aid and the final difference in COA. I don't think my gain in happiness by attending Columbia, if there is any gain, would be worth $180k in added debt, especially as I can always move to a big city for residency or beyond.

Talk to the fin aid office about the aid from Mayo and see if they can help you out. They can't always, but sometimes they will!

Good luck! Either way you can't go wrong.

What did you end up deciding? I'm always interested by the outcomes of these threads

My financial aid at Columbia came through and the total cost was near equivalent for both schools. The difference in total debt for all four years was less than $20,0000.

I ended up choosing Columbia. It was still a hard choice even when cost wasn't an issue but I'm glad finances didn't end up playing a role in the decision and that I picked entirely based on perceived fit and happiness and on my gut feelings.

Reactions: 3 users
My financial aid at Columbia came through and the total cost was near equivalent for both schools. The difference in total debt for all four years was less than $20,0000.

I ended up choosing Columbia. It was still a hard choice even when cost wasn't an issue but I'm glad finances didn't end up playing a role in the decision and that I picked entirely based on perceived fit and happiness and on my gut feelings.

Congrats and good job making the *~*~*correct*~*~* decision ( :p) ! PM me if you have any questions