Mayo (MN) vs. OHSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CA_to_VA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright folks I was just accepted into OHSU 24 hours ago and am now mid-decision-making crisis. I know these are incredibly different schools but would love any insight! (side note - do I legitimately have to make this decision today? having 24 hours to do this feels insane)

For context - I live in Portland (but haven't lived here long) and went in to the process with OHSU high on my list. OHSU's application process has disappointed me but Mayo's has really pleasantly surprised me. I'm in my late 20s and have been working in policy for a while, want to continue doing work in the public health/health policy realm somewhere down the line. I'm fairly open specialty wise - used to love surgery, but now could see myself doing OBGYN or primary care, but honestly open to everything for now.

Alright here goes:

Mayo
pros:
  • ~$18k cheaper a year + cost of living is cheaper
  • know a few faculty who I feel like would help me navigate Mayo and get the best possible experience
  • small class size + student focused culture makes it seem like they really help every individual succeed and help you find unique opportunities that are aligned with your interests
  • I like the selective weeks throughout the curriculum, seems like a cool way to explore interests
  • I feel like the research focus would push me outside my comfort zone in a good way
  • Mayo brand is more recognizable - would likely help me match and more people outside of the medical field are familiar with Mayo (over OHSU) which could be helpful if I want to work in public health/policy later on
cons:
  • location! almost didn't apply because of location. my partner also won't love Rochester (but is perfectly supportive about moving there as he can work remote). I also love bigger cities + bigger mountains + better food scenes + live music etc.
  • younger students on average, and I assume there are generally fewer "like minded" people in MN versus OHSU
  • doesn't feel like students are really into advocacy or policy work, but that could be true in a lot of places
OHSU
pros:
  • location!! love Portland, has all the above things that I love. Don't have a ton of friends here bc moved in COVID, but have at least a few and feel like I could more easily make more friend here
    • closer-ish to my family in CA (although not that close)
    • partner would be happier here but doesn't feel strongly
  • older student average age - closer to my age
  • seems like students are slightly more into advocacy work in Portland/Oregon more generally
  • clinical rotations start halfway through second year which seems better?
cons:
  • admissions process felt unorganized and not that respectful of students needs (e.g., so many acceptances went out yesterday...) - school didn't really sell themselves
  • definitely bigger university feel - doesn't seem like you're really guided as much as you have to figure out opportunities for yourself (I can do this, but as someone that feels like a bit of an outside to the whole med school process, this feels a bit more daunting)
  • might be harder to match

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Mayo MN but didn't make it in and don't have a great deal of knowledge about OHSU, but I would say that Mayo generally is non-trad friendly and has a good portion of older students than several medical schools. I think with the cheaper costs and strong training at Mayo, I'd vote for Mayo in your situation. The main thing is how much do you value being closer to your family in CA over being all the way in Rochester, MN? Mayo seems like they'll do their utmost to support you as a student as well, so that kind of environment is invaluable.

Alright folks I was just accepted into OHSU 24 hours ago and am now mid-decision-making crisis. I know these are incredibly different schools but would love any insight! (side note - do I legitimately have to make this decision today? having 24 hours to do this feels insane)

For context - I live in Portland (but haven't lived here long) and went in to the process with OHSU high on my list. OHSU's application process has disappointed me but Mayo's has really pleasantly surprised me. I'm in my late 20s and have been working in policy for a while, want to continue doing work in the public health/health policy realm somewhere down the line. I'm fairly open specialty wise - used to love surgery, but now could see myself doing OBGYN or primary care, but honestly open to everything for now.

Alright here goes:

Mayo
pros:
  • ~$18k cheaper a year + cost of living is cheaper
  • know a few faculty who I feel like would help me navigate Mayo and get the best possible experience
  • small class size + student focused culture makes it seem like they really help every individual succeed and help you find unique opportunities that are aligned with your interests
  • I like the selective weeks throughout the curriculum, seems like a cool way to explore interests
  • I feel like the research focus would push me outside my comfort zone in a good way
  • Mayo brand is more recognizable - would likely help me match and more people outside of the medical field are familiar with Mayo (over OHSU) which could be helpful if I want to work in public health/policy later on
cons:
  • location! almost didn't apply because of location. my partner also won't love Rochester (but is perfectly supportive about moving there as he can work remote). I also love bigger cities + bigger mountains + better food scenes + live music etc.
  • younger students on average, and I assume there are generally fewer "like minded" people in MN versus OHSU
  • doesn't feel like students are really into advocacy or policy work, but that could be true in a lot of places
OHSU
pros:
  • location!! love Portland, has all the above things that I love. Don't have a ton of friends here bc moved in COVID, but have at least a few and feel like I could more easily make more friend here
    • closer-ish to my family in CA (although not that close)
    • partner would be happier here but doesn't feel strongly
  • older student average age - closer to my age
  • seems like students are slightly more into advocacy work in Portland/Oregon more generally
  • clinical rotations start halfway through second year which seems better?
cons:
  • admissions process felt unorganized and not that respectful of students needs (e.g., so many acceptances went out yesterday...) - school didn't really sell themselves
  • definitely bigger university feel - doesn't seem like you're really guided as much as you have to figure out opportunities for yourself (I can do this, but as someone that feels like a bit of an outside to the whole med school process, this feels a bit more daunting)
  • might be harder to match
As far as the decision time-frame, carefully read the acceptance letters, and I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to either school (especially Oregon) for clarifying information if necessary. Overall, it seems like Mayo is the right choice, especially if your SO is truly as neutral about it as you say. Mentally, I completely understand that having family on the same coast can bring some level of comfortability and reassurance. But, from my experience in the past in a similar family-distance situation, unless you live right next to your family, or at least within very easy driving distance, when you are away, you are away regardless of distance if that makes sense. Especially knowing how busy you will be. So again, overall, Mayo seems like a pretty clear winner, but maybe that mental reassurance of having family closer is more important to you! You can't go wrong with either decision.

I just finished medical school and am heading to residency soon. I'm also 32 and have a partner of 8 years. I really, really prioritize location. Medical school keeps you busy, but you'll have plenty of time to get to know your broader community and explore your city and the surrounding areas. If I had your choice, I would choose OHSU. It seems like living in Portland will be far better for you and your partner. Also, the admissions office has nothing to do with your education once you are there. So while they may be a bit of a hot mess, the rest of the school may have their stuff together more.

However, you cannot go wrong! Congratulations for having a fabulous choice to make.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Both are great options so you really can’t go wrong. I personally would choose Mayo because of the extremely small class size, cheaper cost, and opportunities/networking that comes with going to such a well known institution. If you care more about location, then OHSU is hard to beat. Does OHSU still have weekly exams on Monday? If so, it’s kind of hard to enjoy the location when you’re stressing about exams over the weekend.

Hi!! It's been a while since you posted, but if you're still on here could you tell me what you chose and why? Thanks!