Mayo OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeforstars

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any takes on the OMFS program offered by Mayo, Rochester.
If someone knows what there strong and weak points are?
Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

eyeforstars said:

Heard not good things about either one. I think Mayo is much, much, better than Rochester, though.

Jediwendell said:
Heard not good things about either one. I think Mayo is much, much, better than Rochester, though.

Mayo Clinic
200 First St. S.W.
Rochester, MN 55905

Thanks for the insight,though.

Members don't see this ad :)
eyeforstars said:
Mayo Clinic
200 First St. S.W.
Rochester, MN 55905

Thanks for the insight,though.

University of Rochester
625 Elmwood Avenue
Rochester, NY 14620-2989

They have an OMS program as well, hence the confusion. ;)

eyeforstars said:

Mayo pays for you medical school tuitition and gives you a full resident's salary for all 6 years. You have to wear a tie to clinic, go to jacksonville, FL for ~ 6 months to get trauma training. The structure when I interviewed was intern year, year 1,2,3/4 combined of med school, then general surgery then chief. The attendings were friendly, but mostly mayo trained. They were getting a cancer fellow from oregon, and had a new attending for allegeheny who was interested in OSA. They appeared to do alot of orthognathic and implants, and 3rds. The program director said you should expect to get 150-200 major OR cases as a chief. Rochester seemed small and was COLD in october. The hospital is really amazing, equipment, art etc.

I did not like the program structure with the OMFS experience so far apart. The is the persistent rumor that the attendings do most of the cutting, but the residents denied this when I inquired. My program has the reputation of malignant attendings and a high divorce rate which is completely false. I ranked it in the middle of my list based on geography, and desire to go to a higher surgical volume program.

Reactions: 1 users
Extraction said:
Mayo pays for you medical school tuitition and gives you a full resident's salary for all 6 years. You have to wear a tie to clinic, go to jacksonville, FL for ~ 6 months to get trauma training. The structure when I interviewed was intern year, year 1,2,3/4 combined of med school, then general surgery then chief. The attendings were friendly, but mostly mayo trained. They were getting a cancer fellow from oregon, and had a new attending for allegeheny who was interested in OSA. They appeared to do alot of orthognathic and implants, and 3rds. The program director said you should expect to get 150-200 major OR cases as a chief. Rochester seemed small and was COLD in october. The hospital is really amazing, equipment, art etc.

I did not like the program structure with the OMFS experience so far apart. The is the persistent rumor that the attendings do most of the cutting, but the residents denied this when I inquired. My program has the reputation of malignant attendings and a high divorce rate which is completely false. I ranked it in the middle of my list based on geography, and desire to go to a higher surgical volume program.

So the only time you get on oms at Mayo is as an intern then a chief. 150 to 200 cases is not that much at all. My chief had over 600 major OR cases during his last year and we get nearly that many as a 5th year. I racked up over 150 major cases as primary surgeon during my third year.
-omfsres

tx oms said:
So the only time you get on oms at Mayo is as an intern then a chief. 150 to 200 cases is not that much at all. My chief had over 600 major OR cases during his last year and we get nearly that many as a 5th year. I racked up over 150 major cases as primary surgeon during my third year.
-omfsres
I can't remember...are you at Shreve or Parkland?

I heard a lot of good things about Mayo in Rochester, MN. I live like a couple of blocks from Mayo and a lot of people come here to get treatments. The school is very famous for cancer research.

Mayo was my first choice and would still be today. We get great training. The program has changed from what I heard it used to be like. Our volume is fantastic. The only time you wear a suit is the two half days a week that you are doing consults, other than that you wear scrubs.
From the structure it makes it look like we are only on service two years of the six. In reality during medical school you are in med school for 6 weeks and then back on service for 2 weeks. We do 2 years and 3 months of medical school in total.

Like most programs we share face trauma with plastics, ENT and OMFS. We all take three weeks at a time. When we ar on what ever comes in we do. When plastics is on we do any lefort1-3 and mandibles. Therefore, our service does most of the facial trauma. Patients come form all over to get surgery. This new structure is only 1 year old. It used to be anatomical specific, but that has all changed. We do three months in Jacksonville to get the knife and gun club trauma.

We do alot of elective surgery as well. From neck dissections, orthognathics, reconstruction, cranial facial and much more.

Our out-patient clinic is busy tons of thirds, implants, single tooth extractions, cosmetics and much more. We don't do a ton of point and pull on prison inmates and hookers. If you like that this is not your program.

The attendings are great. Having three of the five staff Mayo trained is not a weakness, nor is it that unusual. Most programs have attendings that are trained at the same program they stay on with. The Mayo trained surgeons are very strong. We have a cancer scope with our cancer surgeon.

Life is great at this program. It is no country club, we bust our balls. Long hours and alot of work. It all comes in waves like any where else.

Reactions: 1 users
Mayo was my first choice and would still be today. We get great training. The program has changed from what I heard it used to be like. Our volume is fantastic. The only time you wear a suit is the two half days a week that you are doing consults, other than that you wear scrubs.
From the structure it makes it look like we are only on service two years of the six. In reality during medical school you are in med school for 6 weeks and then back on service for 2 weeks. We do 2 years and 3 months of medical school in total.

Like most programs we share face trauma with plastics, ENT and OMFS. We all take three weeks at a time. When we ar on what ever comes in we do. When plastics is on we do any lefort1-3 and mandibles. Therefore, our service does most of the facial trauma. Patients come form all over to get surgery. This new structure is only 1 year old. It used to be anatomical specific, but that has all changed. We do three months in Jacksonville to get the knife and gun club trauma.

We do alot of elective surgery as well. From neck dissections, orthognathics, reconstruction, cranial facial and much more.

Our out-patient clinic is busy tons of thirds, implants, single tooth extractions, cosmetics and much more. We don't do a ton of point and pull on prison inmates and hookers. If you like that this is not your program.

The attendings are great. Having three of the five staff Mayo trained is not a weakness, nor is it that unusual. Most programs have attendings that are trained at the same program they stay on with. The Mayo trained surgeons are very strong. We have a cancer scope with our cancer surgeon.

Life is great at this program. It is no country club, we bust our balls. Long hours and alot of work. It all comes in waves like any where else.

what is the director looking for in applicants?

What is the director looking for in applicants?

Well, I guess that is the golden question. Basically similar to that of any other program director. If you find that out I think every applicant on this site would be happy.

Program directors will probably tell you that they are looking for applicants with strong stats, that hard working, humble, with good experience in the field, and passion for the profession, and on and on and on.

In all honesty once you start to interview you will come to find out that even though you are a great student with great stats, you are just another applicant on the interview trail. If you have strong numbers you will apply to strong programs. All of the other applicants at those interviews will be similar to you. If you not a shining star with your numbers. You may apply to "weaker" programs. I say that somewhat loosely since even applicants with not so shining stats are usually some of the brighter in their class. If you interview at these programs then you will notice that these applicants are very similar in stats to you as well. If you do a spattering of programs of various reputations then you may be able to see some diversity in applicant stats. For the most part you are just another applicant.

Having said all that crap. Once you get an interview I think that a program director is looking for an applicant that fits in with the rest of the residents. Ultimately that is very important. You spend a great deal of time with the other residents and attendings.

If you have the stats that each program is looking for then it is who you are that matters most. My advice and I'm sure any other resident will echo the same advice. During the interview be who you are and you will find your program. Don’t fake anything that is to easy to see through.

Now you may ask what stats are program directors looking for. I don’t even think that I need to go into that question since everyone who is thinking of applying knows the answer to that question. We all hear, “I knew a guy who had this or that and got in”. Most of that is a bunch of crap. Sure some of that happens, but by no means is it common place.

I know that I did not answer your question. I don’t know the specific answer. So I just replied with my view.

Wearing a sportcoat to clinic? That wouldn't be too bad....

What is the director looking for in applicants?

Well, I guess that is the golden question. Basically similar to that of any other program director. If you find that out I think every applicant on this site would be happy.

Program directors will probably tell you that they are looking for applicants with strong stats, that hard working, humble, with good experience in the field, and passion for the profession, and on and on and on.

In all honesty once you start to interview you will come to find out that even though you are a great student with great stats, you are just another applicant on the interview trail. If you have strong numbers you will apply to strong programs. All of the other applicants at those interviews will be similar to you. If you not a shining star with your numbers. You may apply to "weaker" programs. I say that somewhat loosely since even applicants with not so shining stats are usually some of the brighter in their class. If you interview at these programs then you will notice that these applicants are very similar in stats to you as well. If you do a spattering of programs of various reputations then you may be able to see some diversity in applicant stats. For the most part you are just another applicant.

Having said all that crap. Once you get an interview I think that a program director is looking for an applicant that fits in with the rest of the residents. Ultimately that is very important. You spend a great deal of time with the other residents and attendings.

If you have the stats that each program is looking for then it is who you are that matters most. My advice and I'm sure any other resident will echo the same advice. During the interview be who you are and you will find your program. Don’t fake anything that is to easy to see through.

Now you may ask what stats are program directors looking for. I don’t even think that I need to go into that question since everyone who is thinking of applying knows the answer to that question. We all hear, “I knew a guy who had this or that and got in”. Most of that is a bunch of crap. Sure some of that happens, but by no means is it common place.

I know that I did not answer your question. I don’t know the specific answer. So I just replied with my view.

thank you.

Anyone knows about the Mayo Prostho program? I am applying for that program!:rolleyes:

Anyone knows about the Mayo Prostho program? I am applying for that program!:rolleyes:

I was interested in Pros at one point, and their program used to be 4-years including a maxillofacial year. I don't know if it's still like that or not.

Wearing a sportcoat to clinic? That wouldn't be too bad....

What?????!!!!!! Did you just drop an articulator on your head? That would be a killer, and you'd have to wake up at least 10min earlier to put it all on. Which if you do the math gives you 50min less sleep a week, 3.3hours less sleep a month, and 40 hours less sleep a year. See who's going to be the more rested better refreshed oral surgeon now.

(sorry, i know i dont actually have anything to offer but i'm supposed to be studying for step 2 right now and i'm just too bored.)

It was actually just an inside joke between me and battlesign.