Mayo residency grads, which salary step did you start with when hired on as attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keratosis_P

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are in/graduated Mayo residency or know someone who did, which salary step do you start at (does everyone start at sep 1?)? Do you know if a fellowship would change that? Asking from primary care.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking if doing a fellowship would change your starting attending salary there?
I interpreted it to mean if they already did a fellowship, like an FMG doing nephrology fellowship and then doing IM residency, would they still get paid the same as a PGY1.

edit: after I posted this I looked at their history. Looks like they graduated from FM residency already so I’m not even sure what they meant.

When you interview they will connect you with Human Resources that will be able to explain benefits and where you fall on the step.

Are you asking for Mayo specifically, or generally? My impression is that each division at Mayo has a salary range (so those requiring fellowships have a different range than those that do not) and as a new grad, you start at Step 1 (not sure if you have experience as an attending in your field if you start out higher on the ladder or not).

Elsewhere, salary offers depend on a lot of things, including experience, degrees, location you're working, etc. One of my junior faculty got an extra 3K per year for having an MPH.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you asking for Mayo specifically, or generally? My impression is that each division at Mayo has a salary range (so those requiring fellowships have a different range than those that do not) and as a new grad, you start at Step 1 (not sure if you have experience as an attending in your field if you start out higher on the ladder or not).

Elsewhere, salary offers depend on a lot of things, including experience, degrees, location you're working, etc. One of my junior faculty got an extra 3K per year for having an MPH.
He only has to work for 75 years and the degree pays for itself!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Are you asking if doing a fellowship would change your starting attending salary there?
I had heard that graduates of Mayo residencies start at a different step than step 1. I am about to complete a non-Mayo fellowship and looking for employment, just wanted to know what others are being offered.

I interpreted it to mean if they already did a fellowship, like an FMG doing nephrology fellowship and then doing IM residency, would they still get paid the same as a PGY1.

edit: after I posted this I looked at their history. Looks like they graduated from FM residency already so I’m not even sure what they meant.
No FM to Geriatrics fellowship, all in the US

Reactions: 1 user
I had heard that graduates of Mayo residencies start at a different step than step 1. I am about to complete a non-Mayo fellowship and looking for employment, just wanted to know what others are being offered.

I don’t believe that this is typically true. It’s all about years after completing training for your specialty. They very appropriately very rarely deviate away from that. They will occasionally give bonuses for department chair, PD, and if you are a significant earner in research.