Mayo vs. MD Anderson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this might be a shallow and potentially idiotic question, but--

I have offers to conduct surgical/clinical research this summer at either Mayo or MD Anderson right now. I have an interest in Neurosurgery, Pediatric General Surgery and CT surg (in that order). I would be doing research in Neurosurgery and CT surgery at Mayo, and Neurosurgery and Pediatric Surgical Oncology at MD Anderson. Having said that, is there any advantage that either place would have going into residency apps time? I suspect I would get a publication at either institution and as far as I know, both institutions are world-class. Unfortunately, I do not have the insight into the world of surgery to know more about these institutions and would feel somewhat embarrassed approaching an attending with this question...soo...help?

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Either would sound like potentially a good opportunity. There is no advantage in the "name" of either institution. The advantage will come out of how productive you make the opportunity. So pick the project that sounds the most interesting to you, or whichever PI you seem to mesh with better.

I'm at Mayo, but not directly associated with those depts. However, I've heard great things about the mentorship from the neurosurgery crew and for residency they really favor taking people they already know. Agree it will be PI specific. But I don't really think there's a wrong choice here.