MBA advantages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJPaulyDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently got a letter from my university about an MBA program from science majors. Its only an extra year after undergrad. Do you guys think this would be beneficial towards running a dental practice and understanding the business side of things or is it just really a few extra letters? Is running a practice something you learn on the fly type of thing? Any thoughts we be appreciated.

It takes me 25 minutes to do my hair so ill be around for a bit,

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

MBAs are largely useless without work experience-before, during, and after the MBA program. You could use the program to fill a year while you reapply to dental school. Otherwise, save your money and take some business/accounting classes at a community college.

Save your time and money unless it is a subject of intense personal interest anyhow. I just read in the WSJ about MBA majors currently doing odd jobs like cashier at Macy's and Starbucks. The only book you'll need for personal and business finance is 'The Millionaire Next Door.'

Hey all,

Recently got a letter from my university about an MBA program from science majors. Its only an extra year after undergrad. Do you guys think this would be beneficial towards running a dental practice and understanding the business side of things or is it just really a few extra letters? Is running a practice something you learn on the fly type of thing? Any thoughts we be appreciated.

It takes me 25 minutes to do my hair so ill be around for a bit,

Thanks.

Allow somebody with an MBA to chime in. MBA's are taught from the perspective that you will ultimately go and work for a large corporation, they teach VERY LITTLE, if any, information about how to run a small business. You will learn things like corporate finance, high-level corporate marketing, human resource management, etc. But you will not learn things that are catered toward running a small business (like a dental practice). It might be useful if you want to go and work for a dental pharmaceutical company or a dental products company, but if you want to practice dentistry, it is useless.

In my opinion, getting an MBA for the purpose of helping with practice management is a bad idea and a waste of your time/money. If you want real practice management advice, take a few courses that are specialized for that purpose, or just start reading the "Practice Management" section of dentaltown...it is a phenomenal resource.

In short: An MBA is not worth it for a dentist who wants to go into private practice.