MBA after PharmD, with no BS?

Started by kkid
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kkid

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will graduate after 2 years, I will only have my pharmD, no BS. I am looking into an MBA program but I know most of them require a Bachelor degree. can PharmD substitute for a BS?
Thank you
 
Depends on the program. All of them will have some pre-reqs that pharmacy school did not provide you with. Maybe you had them in prepharm, but it may have been too long ago to count. I had BS and decided to do MBA concurrently with PharmD, but still had to take about 12 hours of pre-reqs before starting starting the MBA program.

While I don't regret getting my MBA concurrently, there is a lot to be said for having some real-world experience prior to starting MBA coursework. Yes sure we are smart and we can learn the material, but it seemeed that my classmates who had more real-world work experience had an advantage in applying the concepts immediately.
 
I am planning to pursue pharmD/MBA or DDS/MBA, and I agree with the above poster.

A lot of MBA students are fresh from the business world. It definitely helps to know how to deal with those sharks. 😛

As an undergrad, I'm networking like it's nobody's business with big name guys at Goizuetta, Ross, Fisher, Foster, and even Mcdonough. I have an internship this summer with JP Morgan.

What exactly do you want to do with that MBA? As my advisor from Goizuetta(who went to Cornell) says, getting a degree for no good reason is always stupid. A lot of people consider MPH because they want to go into public services. Depending on what you want to do, you may just need to network more. MBA coursework = somewhat useful. The exp, friends, and connects you get while in the MBA program = point of the program.