MBA during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going for this? Does your program support or pay for it? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the folks in the Path forum made mention of it, I didn't know if it was a common or uncommon thing to pursue during a residency.

That sounds pretty tough. I could see an MPH maybe. Still, residency's hard enough as it is. Even if you're brilliant, the increased number of simple obligations on your life could be overwhelming. Would be for me, anyway.

Plus, business school is all about making contacts, you only actually learn stuff for about 20 minutes. The rest is handshakes and backslaps. You can you do that while also in residency?

Anyone going for this? Does your program support or pay for it? :D

I know for a fact that GW's ophthalmology program used to have a residency/MBA track in health managemeant.

I've also read about anesthesia/MBA tracks on SDN ~1-2 years ago but I don't remember where though.

Short story: they exist!

one of our GS residents is taking two research years and getting her MBA. It's possible if you really want to do it.

Penrose, CO, offers a 5-year (I think) combined MBA-AP/CP path residency, but it's been years since I looked at that. Not sure about the details.

My hospital pays for ~80% of my MBA. Mostly they provide tuition reimbursement, but I'm getting the MBA through a contracted institution, which means tuition is paid directly. Much preferred!