1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MBA Grad--Low uGPA--Need Advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by RedRaider2013, Sep 7, 2014.

1. RedRaider2013

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hey y'all

First post here. I'm sure my story is similar to many others on here. Speaking bluntly and truthfully--I was a lazy student in undergrad. I graduated with a BA in liberal arts in 2010 with a 2.8 gpa. Lots of drops and C's, and I never completed the premed curriculum. I regret undergrad everyday, but there's nothing I can do about that. I received my MBA (3.2 gpa) in 2013 and I've worked everywhere from the US Congress to commercial banking. I'm more or less happy with the way things have turned out. I've had a lot of great opportunities but I'm largely unfulfilled and I'm saddled with grad school debt. Medicine is pretty much the only thing I've been consistently interested in over the years and I've always liked science. I told myself "the dream is over" and moved on, but I can't stop thinking about it. I don't know what to do though. I can't just go back to school full-time to knock out pre-reqs. I was hoping to find a community college that offers night classes. One of my biggest fears is that I'll do well in all the pre-req's, perform decently on the MCAT, and still not get accepted anywhere. I've always wanted to go the DO route but I fear an ADCOM will take once glance at my record and throw my app in the trash. I will not go the Caribbean route. Any suggestions? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is there reasonable hope for me? For the record school has never been hard for me, I was just incredibly lazy and unmotivated. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AlteredScale

Administrator Moderator 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Medicine sure is a calling and yes, the process to applying to is quite nerve racking but not trying will haunt you. I think you have a good plan of pursuing a post-bac at a CC and prepare for the MCAT. Don't let the fear of not getting accepted stop you. DO programs are very receptive when it comes to having a non-traditional background so I think you will be well received if you apply for these.

If you've found a new spark in your studies then show that in the course work you take and apply! Best of luck to you!

4. karling

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You are not alone. Many of us on here screwed up in undergrad. The good news is that DO programs seem to be quite receptive of people who show a renewed motivation and kick butt in their post-bac courses. AACOMAS also offers grade replacement, so if you retake some of the courses in which you received your worst grades, you can improve your GPA quite a bit. Get it up to a 3.2, score a high 20's MCAT, and you have a good shot.

Since you haven't completed the premed curriculum, you could just retake all of the courses you did complete and received a grade less than B. Because you weren't a science major, I'm assuming you didn't take many science courses, and those you did poorly in you could just retake for a better grade. That could give you a decently high science GPA to help offset your relatively low cumulative GPA. If you have a decent amount of volunteer/clinical experience, have a high sGPA, a good-to-great MCAT, and a good enough cGPA to make it past the cutoffs (usually around 3.0-3.2), you have a great chance, I think. You'd have a lot to talk about in your PS, secondaries, and interviews, which gives you another advantage.

If you can somehow swing it to where you don't have to work (for example, enroll in a formal premed post-bac program, where you could get loans), you could get there sooner than you'd think.