Mba --> md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x164

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently pursuing my MBA (part-time), running a family business and have always had an interest in medicine. On a recent trip back to my native country, I felt that the field of medicine was where I wanted to be. Next quarter I will start taking the medical school requirements as well as taking MBA classes. My goal is to be done with the med-school pre-reqs by the time I am done with my MBA. I have talked to many people and have thought about the plunge very thoroughly. I feel that having an MBA and hopefully eventually being a doctor will prove to be very beneficial to me.

I am seeking any type of advice or suggestions from all of you who maybe have been down this road. Is there anyone who holds an MBA and an MD in this forum?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently pursuing my MBA (part-time), running a family business and have always had an interest in medicine. On a recent trip back to my native country, I felt that the field of medicine was where I wanted to be. Next quarter I will start taking the medical school requirements as well as taking MBA classes. My goal is to be done with the med-school pre-reqs by the time I am done with my MBA. I have talked to many people and have thought about the plunge very thoroughly. I feel that having an MBA and hopefully eventually being a doctor will prove to be very beneficial to me.

I am seeking any type of advice or suggestions from all of you who maybe have been down this road. Is there anyone who holds an MBA and an MD in this forum?
Start shadowing some drs.so you get a sense of what it will be like (you will have to do this regardless). If you still feel like want to do this then start w/ bio 101 or whatever don't load up on science classes- see how you're managing in your classes, if you're doing well take more classes concurrently. Also think about when you will finish all the pre-regs and plan to take take MCAT after. Probably most of the MD/ MBA's you'll find are dual degree & not in your situation. Good luck

I am half-way through my MBA and have postponed finishing my MBA until I get into Med School for a Dual Degree or finish it after. I, too, will be starting pre-med next semester.

Two pieces of advice:

First: Don't rush the process. Being business students, we're generally more thorough about processes than the average individual (disclaimer: personal opinion). I was close to rushing the process and I've read enough stories and talked to enough people to tell you that is a quick road to nowhere but failure. Embrace the full process of pre-reqs, MCAT, volunteering, clinical experience, getting in with faculty for LOR's, applying, etc. and make yourself the best student possible come application time.

Second: Try to get clinical experience or shadow a doctor before you make the leap. I've shadowed surgeons in a hospital setting, so I've seen a big range from bedside manner to in-room patient care to actual surgery. I can tell that being in this experience would very quickly turn a person not in love with medicine running for the hills. There's nothing wrong with that, either, so if you feel that way, don't feel ashamed for going back on your decision. Chalk it up to learning more about yourself as a person and who you are... many people don't get that chance.

Good luck to you.

my plan is to complete my mba before applying to med school. i am going to start taking the general chemistry series next quarter along with my mba classes as well. i am not overloading my classes as i am aware it is important to get the best grades possible and have a high pre-req gpa. i am also going to be starting to volunteer starting next quarter and have shadows lined up.

last quarter i took a chemistry class equivalent to high school chem to refresh my my memory and i did pretty well. i know that this doesn't necessarily mean that i will do well in the future as well but i feel that i can stick it out. i will be taking all of my pre-req's at the four year school i am currently doing my mba.

next year i plan to take o-chem and bio followed by physics in my third year of my mba program. somewhere along the way i would like to biochem as well before i apply. my goal is to take the mcat in the year following the completion of my mba.

thanks for your help!