MBA MHA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShinySephiroth

Determined
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is having both and an MD redundant?

Members don't see this ad.

Is having both and an MD redundant?
I typed that on my phone originally and whatever I did caused my autocorrect to go crazy. I'll rephrase -

What would the benefits be of having an MHA if one already has an MD/MBA? Would the knowledge of healthcare obtained by being a physician (MD) be enough to supplement a non-healthcare focused MBA? Or would obtaining an MHA education help fill in the gaps for a non-healthcare focused MBA education?

I typed that on my phone originally and whatever I did caused my autocorrect to go crazy. I'll rephrase -

What would the benefits be of having an MHA if one already has an MD/MBA? Would the knowledge of healthcare obtained by being a physician (MD) be enough to supplement a non-healthcare focused MBA? Or would obtaining an MHA education help fill in the gaps for a non-healthcare focused MBA education?

If you "only" have an MD, you can already do most administration jobs given you have healthcare/clinical experience. If you have an MD/MBA, that's more than qualified. Adding an MHA would not help for 99% of people out there. I'd focus on getting clinical experience first.

If your question was having an MD/MHA and was thinking about getting an elite MBA (H/S/P, Booth, Sloan, Columbia, etc), then the name recognition may help you given the prestige and connections for an large/academic healthcare system, and may make it easier for you to obtain an admin position early in your career. However, in most cases if you already have any advanced masters in healthcare/business, it really doesn't matter that much and experience trumps everything.

Reactions: 1 user
If you "only" have an MD, you can already do most administration jobs given you have healthcare/clinical experience. If you have an MD/MBA, that's more than qualified. Adding an MHA would not help for 99% of people out there. I'd focus on getting clinical experience first.

If your question was having an MD/MHA and was thinking about getting an elite MBA (H/S/P, Booth, Sloan, Columbia, etc), then the name recognition may help you given the prestige and connections for an large/academic healthcare system, and may make it easier for you to obtain an admin position early in your career. However, in most cases if you already have any advanced masters in healthcare/business, it really doesn't matter that much and experience trumps everything.
This was 100% what I needed to know! Thank you! I was looking into the educational benefits of an MHA after already having an MBA and you answered it perfectly. Thank you very, very much. :)