MBA program

Started by thimsmits
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thimsmits

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to 16 schools, have 6 rejections, and 1 interview, so it isn't looking too great for me. I need to prepare in case I don't get any acceptances.

I am very interested in getting an MBA. I know it will be useful, but do you think it will help me to get into dental school for a later cycle?

Thanks for your help!
 
mmm... it's better than doing nothing, but there are definitely better options if your goal is dental school. i would consider a 1 year masters program that is heavy in courses that you will take during your first 2 years of dental school (i.e. cell, micro, biochem, histology, gross anatomy, neuroscience, pathology, physiology). the number one reason why dental schools don't accept applicants is b/c they don't think they will be able to handle the course load--dental schools don't want to fail students. getting an MBA doesn't prove that you can handle dental school.. it just gives you some additional training on operating/managing a business.

jb!🙂
 
If I did a 1-year master's program, would I have to take 2 years off? I wonder because when applying next year I wouldn't have any grades to show.

Any specific programs you recommend?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was advised by a few dental schools to pursue a thesis-based masters degree. In this case, it will take you at least two years to complete it, due to the research.
 
This is my 2nd time applying, so when I didn't get in last year, I applied for a 1-yr management masters - it's not an MBA, but it was a new program designed for graduates from science/tech backgrounds who also wanted to have management skills. Don't think that a management background isn't related to dentistry - after all, what are most of us going to do when we graduate? Enter a private practice - that's a business.

With regards to how dental schools may view this, I explained my intentions very clearly in my personal essay as to why I chose to pursue a masters in management. I saw this as a way to contribute to my end goal.
 
This is my 2nd time applying, so when I didn't get in last year, I applied for a 1-yr management masters - it's not an MBA, but it was a new program designed for graduates from science/tech backgrounds who also wanted to have management skills. Don't think that a management background isn't related to dentistry - after all, what are most of us going to do when we graduate? Enter a private practice - that's a business.

With regards to how dental schools may view this, I explained my intentions very clearly in my personal essay as to why I chose to pursue a masters in management. I saw this as a way to contribute to my end goal.

Did your experience in the management program help your application? Have you recieved more interviews/acceptances compared to last time you applied?