MBBS in china, info about doing internship else where rather than china?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njds13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year mbbs student in mainland china and as many of you might know that you are required to do one year internship before graduation. Since due to many previous complaints from seniors that internship in china is a waste of time unless you are fluent in mandarin, you do not get hands-on experience and basically communication with patients and even doctors is the biggest issue, I'm worried and I would like to do the internship else where. Has anyone attempted this option? Can you give me information about the procedures and where is it preferable to do? Are you required to pass any exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

My name is Jeff Weil and I am the Region Medical Director for Kaplan here in Asia Pacific. I am currently planning a trip to China to speak with medical students on the USMLE and US licensing process of international graduates in early May.

If you don't mind me asking where are you studying and have you begun to think about the USMLE?

Hello,

My name is Jeff Weil and I am the Region Medical Director for Kaplan here in Asia Pacific. I am currently planning a trip to China to speak with medical students on the USMLE and US licensing process of international graduates in early May.

If you don't mind me asking where are you studying and have you begun to think about the USMLE?

Hello Jeff, and welcome to SDN!

If you don't mind and it isn't too much, could you please give the China/Eastern Asia SDN community a summary of the US licensing process of international graduates that might be specific to students educated in Asia/Eastern Asia? Specifically, any major changes as of late if there are any. Much of the SDN members know the basics, since we prowl these threads for any information we need (and there is a wealth of info. on here that you might find useful in terms of student perspectives).

If you ever have time to enlighten us, It'd be very appreciated. Thanks, and welcome again! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

hey
That is really great! I'm studying in Dalian Medical University. It would be overwhelming if you can visit my university too. There are a lot of students who have plans about the USMLE.

Hello,

Hi Jeff. This sounds great! If your itinerary can be posted, it'd be awesome.

What cities will Kaplan lecture in? Beijing, Shenyang, or Tianjin etc, on the list? Can you tell more about the info seminars?

Last edited:
China has one of the fastest growing economies in the world with an important role in international affairs and a major impact on the global economy. This is a country with an ancient history, a brilliant civilization and beautiful landscapes. China has attractive offers and facilities for students from South Asia with a low cost.

In China medical schools are recognized by the Medical Council of China and many of them are recognized by the WHO (World Health Organization). Foreign students can prefer Chinese or English language medium for mbbs in China.

If you will study in China you can get a chance to learn Chinese as a foreign language as well as you can understand a foreign way of thinking. People who can speak Chinese and have first-hand experience of living there will be given a big advantage when it comes to employment in China. Some MNC can also send you onsite China if you know Chinese language and familiar with Chinese environment and culture.

You can prefer China as your first choice when going to study abroad. However, you must consider what kind of approach you want to study. Campus Idea is giving an opportunity for students to study abroad in China. Since last few years China has emerged from isolation and captured the attention of the world by accomplishing astonishing technical achievements and driving their economy rapidly.

Not trying to be rude but remember, you are talking to a crowd of mostly US applicants (college students) who will want to eventually match for residency and then practice in the US. Rather than focusing on the unimportant pros of studying in China, you should look at the bigger picture and try to explain why going to China as an IMG would be better or comparable to the Caribbean. After all, most of us are college grads, not gullible high school students from Pakistan. :luck:

Hello,

I was there! :D

I'm a 3rd year mbbs student in mainland china and as many of you might know that you are required to do one year internship before graduation. Since due to many previous complaints from seniors that internship in china is a waste of time unless you are fluent in mandarin, you do not get hands-on experience and basically communication with patients and even doctors is the biggest issue, I'm worried and I would like to do the internship else where. Has anyone attempted this option? Can you give me information about the procedures and where is it preferable to do? Are you required to pass any exam?

Try NUSingapore, YLLSOM, they provide 3 months in Max elective postings.
I did 12 weeks postings there and get transferred back to Chinese Med College.
Log on their website and you will find.
Not difficult.
Most Signaporeans speak both Chinese and English.