mcat 30 gpa 3.7. help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midnights2star

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attend a Top 5-10 University (ivy) (ranking depends on whose I guess)
cGPA - 3.7
sGPA - 3.58
(i got 1 C first semester frosh year in a molec bio class. did NOT know classes at this univ would really and truly be that competitive. ever since i had basically all straight A's. went from below 3.0 to 4.0's)
MCAT 9V 11PS 10BS - 30R
MCAT rewrite 7V 12PS 11BS - 30Q

EC's:
-founder and president of 2 non-profit chapters
-president of a 3rd non-profit but it kind of combines with one of the 2 listed above.
these non-profits involve setting up and running comprehensive health clinics in rural underserved communities abroad, and involves advocacy, social injustice, in health, particularly in HIV treatment, etc. Through the non-profits i got plenty direct patient contact, shadowing doctors, etc.
-did an independent research project abroad while working in the health clinic - but not completely independent as i submitted it for an assignment in a class
-entering the independent research program/honors program for my major this upcoming year
-invited to/attended 2 leadership conferences
-currently hosting at my school and helping organize a national leadership conference
-accepted into a summer internship program abroad (for a nonprofit) but didnt attend due to med school
-leadership position in sorority
-summer volunteer at cancer ward - patient contact
-2 summers experience as research assistant in 2 different labs
-dean's lists
-was on varsity cheerleading one year - competed/ranked nationally

extra:
-fluent in english but not my first language
-minority but i dont think considered URM
-good LORs
-good PS

I don't know what to think...I was shocked at my 2nd mcat score - my verbal has never wavered in any practice exam - 8-10, almost always stayed a 9
I also came out of the rewrite thinking I got at least 12's or higher in both PS and BS
:(
i have no1 to blame but myself for the sucky mcat scores - i only chose to spend ~3months in total for the first and 2nd time combined..i chose to focus on my non-profits and ECs and school grades which i care more about instead -.-

I feel so devastated now, I need some opinions if you guys think I'm doomed for this cycle? i have the best intentions but despise how your worth/desire to become a doctor is determined on these meaningless numbers :(
i am extremely competitive academically but such a long standardized test kills me and makes me so nervous.
My adviser didn't advise me not to apply, but said I have to be very smart about where I apply and make sure the rest of my app is flawless and really shows I can communicate with others, because of the 7Verbal

I just want to get into any US Allopathic school, please help!

Members don't see this ad.

30 is a good score (above the mean), but that 7 does hurt. I'm not sure what they will look at. Your stats are pretty solid, EC's good. Upward trend looks great. I would apply as a URM (I'm half African American and I for sure will). You have no reason not to. Your first MCAT is about the average acceptance to most medical schools, along with your GPA. I will probably end up applying with the same grades as you have, can't speak for the MCAT. If I scored what you did on the first one, I would be happy and applying to many schools. Realize that on SDN you see a lot of the hard working, highly motivated pre-medical students with great stats. Not the ones half-assing their studies. That can be intimidating. But if you look at the average applicant stats on schools websites, the statistics drop dramatically versus what you see here. Usually to like 3.4-3.5in both GPA and a 26-27 MCAT. You're above the curve. I only mention this because you seem very stressed, which is understandable. The only way to find out is to apply.

thanks so much dynamo for the advice. i feel a bit better.
i'm mostly worried to death about that 7 in verbal, yes. i know schools will see both scores but most take the most recent one into consideration
ajdfldsirgkl :confused:

anyone else can help me?

my list so far:
NJ resident

chicago-rosalind franklin
umdnj
robert johnson
cooper
george washington
boston
creighton
st. louis