MCAT 4th time retake advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pvz3456

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

As the title of the thread says, I am debating if I should retake the MCAT a 4th time. These were my scores

506 C/P 128 B/B CARS 124 BB 127 P/S 127

508 C/P 130 B/B CARS 123 BB 127 P/S 128

509 C/P 127 CARS 126 BB 127 P/S 129

I have already done all of the AAMC FLs, Qbanks, Section bank and all of UWorld and Khan Academy Practice Material. I have also done EK 101 for CARS.

My AAMC FL scores before the 3rd MCAT were:

Sample test - 521

FL 1 - 518

FL 2 - 521

FL 3 - 516

FL 4 - 512

I would appreciate any advice on how to study for the MCAT a 4th time. I got my score back for the 3rd MCAT about a week ago.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1595780912405.png
    1595780912405.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 116
Is there a reason you are considering a fourth attempt? Your three prior scores are pretty consistent. After doing that many attempts, I’m not surprised that your AAMC practice scores were as high as they were prior to your third attempt, especially if you had already used them before the two prior attempts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Second what was said above. Your FL1-3 are inflated. You have done these FLs three times, which causes this. I think your FL4 is the most accurate (guessing since that one came out more recently you've only done it once). If this is true and assuming you replicate that score - I would not retake.

Your 3 scores are relatively within the same confidence band. Even though you improved on each, there was a decay in B/B. For me to retake in your shoes I would have to be extremely confident that I would do 516+ (imo). I would take the 509 and spend the extra time you would have been studying to bettering your app in other ways.

In short I think there's too much of a risk to take it a 4th time and score in the same range (as you've done before) which could be an indicator that you lack judgement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If there is a reason you want to pursue a 4th attempt, it would be helpful to know what it is. If it is only to try for a higher score, I would not advise it without an unsuccessful application cycle. As is, your three scores are similar which reinforces their validity. I’m not sure how a 4th attempt even at a 516+ would be received? Depending on other aspects of an application to medical school, your state of residence, and goals, you’re in decent shape. You likely need to apply broadly to MD and DO programs to ensure a successful cycle.

I guess re-taking depends on your goals. I took the MCAT three times (515 -> 517 -> 521), partially because of CARS score drop in the 517 and because I knew I had it in me to break 99%ile from my test scores. Just reflect on what your goals are, and if you truly need to re-take the MCAT to achieve them. Good luck!

You should have stopped at retake 2. Taking it three times with no substantial improvement already calls into question your decision making, taking it for the fourth time is just... silly.

Hey all!

As the title of the thread says, I am debating if I should retake the MCAT a 4th time. These were my scores

506 C/P 128 B/B CARS 124 BB 127 P/S 127

508 C/P 130 B/B CARS 123 BB 127 P/S 128

509 C/P 127 CARS 126 BB 127 P/S 129

I have already done all of the AAMC FLs, Qbanks, Section bank and all of UWorld and Khan Academy Practice Material. I have also done EK 101 for CARS.

My AAMC FL scores before the 3rd MCAT were:

Sample test - 521

FL 1 - 518

FL 2 - 521

FL 3 - 516

FL 4 - 512

I would appreciate any advice on how to study for the MCAT a 4th time. I got my score back for the 3rd MCAT about a week ago.

Thanks!
how did you improve your CARS score?