MD MCAT 515 - cGPA 3.95, sGPA 3.95 - ORM, AZ Resident

Started by spot10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spot10

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Below is a brief summary of my profile as a reapplicant. I am currently on my 2nd gap year. I am looking for feedback on my current list and if there are additional schools I should apply to. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Clinical volunteering: 100

Nonclinical volunteering: 320

Social advocacy: 160

Shadowing: 160 (internal medicine, pulm/crit care, neuroradiology, infectious disease, orthopaedic surgery)

Clinical research: 100, 1 first author paper in progress

Nonclinical research: 2300, 2 projects, 4 poster presentations, 1 published thesis, 1 first author paper in progress, 1 corresponding author paper is progress, 3 awards

Clinical work: 2900, 2 medical assistant jobs

Extracurriculars: 700, 2 club president, 1 officer

Current school list:
University of Arizona - Tucson
University of Arizona - Phoenix
Mayo Clinic
Creighton
UCLA
University of Michigan
UNLV
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
Ohio State University
University of Cincinnati
Albany
University of Wisconsin
Penn State
Albert Einstein
California Northstate
 
Welcome to the forums.

Were you an Arizona resident in your previous application? Where did you get interviews before? Highlight what you have done since you graduated vs. since your last application, especially with details of your clinical and non-clinical experiences.

Why do you think you have fallen short so many times? When will your MCAT expire? What is your purpose as a physician? Your metrics clearly are adequate; your hours...
 
Welcome to the forums.

Were you an Arizona resident in your previous application? Where did you get interviews before? Highlight what you have done since you graduated vs. since your last application, especially with details of your clinical and non-clinical experiences.

Why do you think you have fallen short so many times? When will your MCAT expire? What is your purpose as a physician? Your metrics clearly are adequate; your hours...
Thank you for the response! I was a Arizona resident in my previous application. I got a few interviews at my in-state schools and at DO schools I applied to. Admittedly, the interviews could have been better, but to my perception, they were not the worst. I was kept on a lot of pre-interview waitlists that eventually became Rs.

Since graduation and my last application, I have worked in clinic, began the editing/submission process for my non-clinical research while presenting at conferences, and I joined my clinical research lab where we recently started the writing phase. I have become more involved in the community through two organizations: one volunteering with homeless populations and the other for social advocacy and civic engagement. Other than what is listed, I also have a few hobbies, biggest of which is swimming.

I do think I could do a better job with my writing by standing out a bit more and punctuating more unique stories I can tell rather than giving more generic statements on why I feel I would make a good physician and a good fit for a specific medical school (focusing more on the show rather than tell). My MCAT expires in 2 years. As a physician, I want to become a provider that creates efficient but also comfortable environments for patients, combining evidence-based and patient-centric care.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the response! I was a Arizona resident in my previous application. I got a few interviews at my in-state schools and at DO schools I applied to. Admittedly, the interviews could have been better, but to my perception, they were not the worst. I was kept on a lot of pre-interview waitlists that eventually became Rs.

Since graduation and my last application, I have worked in clinic, began the editing/submission process for my non-clinical research while presenting at conferences, and I joined my clinical research lab where we recently started the writing phase. I have become more involved in the community through two organizations: one volunteering with homeless populations and the other for social advocacy and civic engagement. Other than what is listed, I also have a few hobbies, biggest of which is swimming.

So in one/two years, you have non-clinical volunteering of 320 hours (working with homeless... doing what?) whereas you had none in your first application?

If you applied to DO schools, I'm a bit surprised no one took you. If you lacked non-clinical volunteering and community advocacy hours, maybe that will put you in a better position.

I do think I could do a better job with my writing by standing out a bit more and punctuating more unique stories I can tell rather than giving more generic statements on why I feel I would make a good physician and a good fit for a specific medical school (focusing more on the show rather than tell). My MCAT expires in 2 years. As a physician, I want to become a provider that creates efficient but also comfortable environments for patients, combining evidence-based and patient-centric care.
Exactly what does that look like? How do your "unique stories" provide evidence you know what you're talking about here? It sounds like you could be really good as a clinic manager or a nurse, so perhaps it's your MA exposure talking.
 
You applied to several state public schools that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Belmont
TCU
Alice Walton
Roseman
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
 
So in one/two years, you have non-clinical volunteering of 320 hours (working with homeless... doing what?) whereas you had none in your first application?

If you applied to DO schools, I'm a bit surprised no one took you. If you lacked non-clinical volunteering and community advocacy hours, maybe that will put you in a better position.


Exactly what does that look like? How do your "unique stories" provide evidence you know what you're talking about here? It sounds like you could be really good as a clinic manager or a nurse, so perhaps it's your MA exposure talking.
Since graduating a year ago, I have completed ~230 hours of that nonclinical volunteering. Our work with the local homeless consists of feeding them, providing necessities, and providing basic care/triaging for larger emergencies.

I want to advocate for my patients' healths directly at the highest level through a physician-patient relationship. And through the stories, I try to point to this relationship being the core of healthcare.