MCAT 5R questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On #23, it states: In the equilibrium constant expression for 2(NH4)2HPO4(s) + H2O(l) ---> 4NH4+(aq) + HPO4-(aq) + H2PO4-(aq) + OH-(aq),..... [H2O] is omitted because the salt is:

A. only weakly basic, and [H2O] is nearly constant

I chose this answer:

C. only weakly acidic, and [H2O] is nearly constant

So, how does one choose whether the water was acidic or basic in the reactants?

Thanks... I might post some more questions if I don't understand AAMC's explanations.

Thanks...
 
Originally posted by OnMyWayThere
On #23, it states: In the equilibrium constant expression for 2(NH4)2HPO4(s) + H2O(l) ---> 4NH4+(aq) + HPO4-(aq) + H2PO4-(aq) + OH-(aq),..... [H2O] is omitted because the salt is:

A. only weakly basic, and [H2O] is nearly constant

I chose this answer:

C. only weakly acidic, and [H2O] is nearly constant

So, how does one choose whether the water was acidic or basic in the reactants?

Thanks... I might post some more questions if I don't understand AAMC's explanations.

Thanks...

well, it is obviously basic due to the "OH-" on the reactant side of the equation.
 
Originally posted by Cerberus
well, it is obviously basic due to the "OH-" on the reactant side of the equation.

I can't believe I read this about 5 times and the AAMC solutions and just realized it asks what the salt is, not the water. I thought it asks if the water was acting as a acid or base.

Thanks...
 
It asks what the salt is, the salt (NH4)2HPO4(s) dissociates to form 4NH4+(aq) + HPO4-(aq) + H2PO4-(aq) + OH-(aq). Since H2PO4 and OH- are formed (it accepts a proton from H20) it is a base by the def. of a base (a proton acceptor, producer of OH-). The product had it been acitic would have involved PO4- and H3O+.