1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCAT 5R questions

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by OnMyWayThere, Mar 31, 2004.

1. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

On #23, it states: In the equilibrium constant expression for 2(NH4)2HPO4(s) + H2O(l) ---> 4NH4+(aq) + HPO4-(aq) + H2PO4-(aq) + OH-(aq),..... [H2O] is omitted because the salt is:

A. only weakly basic, and [H2O] is nearly constant

I chose this answer:

C. only weakly acidic, and [H2O] is nearly constant

So, how does one choose whether the water was acidic or basic in the reactants?

Thanks... I might post some more questions if I don't understand AAMC's explanations.

Thanks...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    well, it is obviously basic due to the "OH-" on the reactant side of the equation.

4. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

I can't believe I read this about 5 times and the AAMC solutions and just realized it asks what the salt is, not the water. I thought it asks if the water was acting as a acid or base.

Thanks...

5. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    It asks what the salt is, the salt (NH4)2HPO4(s) dissociates to form 4NH4+(aq) + HPO4-(aq) + H2PO4-(aq) + OH-(aq). Since H2PO4 and OH- are formed (it accepts a proton from H20) it is a base by the def. of a base (a proton acceptor, producer of OH-). The product had it been acitic would have involved PO4- and H3O+.

6. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    heh, hate it when that happens